Scraping a Conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I recently replaced wire in s corroded but intact conduit. I found how water had gotten in an sealed it off, also drilled small weep holes in the main j box and 2 LB’s.

I would have replaced sections of conduit but most areas of the run were not practical for this. I pulled rags through several times, 1st few soaked with h WD40. Then 3 with water & last one with Clear Glide. Did OZk but still tough.

I’ve seen wire brushes online for pipe. Has anyone ever tried this? Might work to pull a brush through & blow out with a vac.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't see a problem with what you did although I don't see why it was necessary. As long as the wires are rated for wet conditions I probably would suggest just leaving it alone. It'll probably fill up with water again anyway.

About all you can really do if it bothers you is to put plastic conduit in. The weep holes might help but they will probably fill up with rust overtime.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Most of the wires had corroded. Only 3 ckts working out of 6. I knew we were better to replace all then half.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Most of the wires had corroded. Only 3 ckts working out of 6. I knew we were better to replace all then half.

Then I agree with you pulling them out was the best thing to do. What you did was fine and will probably last a long time if you stopped the water from getting back into the conduit.

JFletcher

I wouldn't bother trying to wire brush rusted conduit. As long as it's not rusted so badly that there are finger splinters of rust grabbing wire and ripping the insulation, I'll just lube it up real well pull the wire in and call it a day.

Blowing or vaccing the conduit out so you don't have a big tusty mess of wire at the other end however is a pretty good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.