Screen control mixed with high voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

fail

We have a projector screen with an electronic control board with a sticky back.

Need to find the code that says we need separation from Electric Light

Should have grabbed my coat book this morning.

Need to prove this is wrong.

6c58f074e076aeede1d3ea0246a75030.jpg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
It looks like it would be a simple matter to move the control wiring to exit through one of those unused knockouts and take care of the problem entirely. How the hell are you supposed to stuff all that in that box anyway?

-Hal

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'd be looking in Article 725 and perhaps Chapter 8.

While mixing the associated wires may be compliant to the outlet (i.e. installed per instructions), they will likely need separation beyond that. And I doubt very much that interface and control module is permitted in the same enclosure/box without a barrier.

JFletcher

725.136(B) or 800.133(A)(1)(c) exception. There is no divider; that is a violation.

eta: there is no way to install a divider in that box. I'd mount a separate box like Hal mentioned.
deta: It is also a violation of 300.4 (B)(1) (which is referenced in chapter 8) to pull comm cable thru metal w/o a bushing to protect it. While that section mentions steel studs, there is another section relating to boxes; cant find it atm, but the comm wire as shown - no bushing on the j-box - is subject to physical damage by the install.

Last edited:

rlundsrud

The only allowance for mixing 120 volt wiring and low voltage wiring (ie class 2) is when the 120 volt wiring is class 1 and the low voltage wiring is associated with it. All insulation must also be rated for the highest voltage (>120 volt). This clearly isn't the case here.

Status
Not open for further replies.