SE Cable/Condo building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I've got a 4 story, turn of the century (not the most recent turn), school that is to be converted to a 20 unit condo building. We are planning to have an outdoor meter center and from there run SE cable from each individual meter to the units load center. We had planned on running the SE through the outside wall, seal around it and run it up to the units. Not pretty - but cheap.

As it turns out, they will be removing the slab on the basement level, the question that has arisen is can we bring the SE in under the slab and then go up to the units thereby avoiding the exposed SE cables for the 20 units.

I'm wondering how best to do this?

I suppose I could switch to USE and direct bury the stuff? Is that Kosher?

It wouldn't make any sense to put the SE in conduit would it? just to get it into the building.

Just looking for thoughts on how best to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

jumper

338.12, I do not think you can put SE underground.

338.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Service-Entrance Cable. Service-entrance cable (SE)
shall not be used under the following conditions or in the
following locations:

(2) Underground with or without a raceway

mshields

Yes but...

Yes but...

I wasn't proposing to put SE cable underground. I was proposing to switch to USE and direct bury it. i.e. reference would be 338.12(B)

KWH

Direct Burial

Direct Burial

Does'nt the cable have to be in conduit when located under a building

raider1

Staff member
I wasn't proposing to put SE cable underground. I was proposing to switch to USE and direct bury it. i.e. reference would be 338.12(B)

As it turns out, they will be removing the slab on the basement level, the question that has arisen is can we bring the SE in under the slab and then go up to the units thereby avoiding the exposed SE cables for the 20 units.

I'm wondering how best to do this?

I suppose I could switch to USE and direct bury the stuff? Is that Kosher?

It wouldn't make any sense to put the SE in conduit would it? just to get it into the building.

Just looking for thoughts on how best to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

I read the bold part to mean that you wanted to run SE cable under the slab, which would be a violation of 338.12(A)(2)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.