SE cable feeding subpanels from grounded meter bank, Was this ever code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubbamauser

I have an approved install from the late 80"s that has SE wire (no ground) going from the meter bank to the subpanels for each office suite, (4 total) I know prior to 2008 this would be legal for a detached structure but what about this? I can only find the grounded systems section that calls out "existing" for the detached building.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bubbamauser

2nd question

2nd question

Is there a prior code that this is legal under. There has been no change to the building since construction and one space had its sub disconnected by the electric company due to a change in tenant now the owner has a new tenant and needs the power back on and the third party inspectors says no. There has been no change to the cable since construction and 3 other feeders are operational that match this installation. I have a completed electrical permit for construction of the the building.

I think you see my dilemma. If it was installed in violation the code it was installed under it needs to be fixed if it met that code it can stay.

mwm1752

Just confirming the service disconnect is at the meter. The ser cable is a feeder by definition. Can you estimate the year of installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.