seal compund

Status
Not open for further replies.

mannyb

Occupation
Electrician
Is duct seal an approved seal compound to put inside a seal off fitting.? I was told thatt duct seal is an approved compound. I was on saem job where we have some fuel guys today installing gas pumps on a separate project and I happend to notice them shoving duct seal inside the seal off. I stopped and said I didnt know duct seal was an approved compound for a seal off in a class 1 div2 location. Everyone of those guys said yes. I was hoping to find a code reference as to the type of approved method for this application but cant find it. I am prettty surre its not approved but I also am not certain. The last time I installed seal offs we used Chico with fiber mesh and circuits had to be separated. These guys were just shoving them inside conduit. Just for peace of mind I would like to know a code reference or UL listing duct seal as an approved compound.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
110.3(B) is what backs up Ragin Cajun.
Have your fuel guys look up 510.15(C) (2) Compound, and (3) Thickness of Compounds
I have poured seals, can't pour duct seal. I did notice the melting point is not less than 200 deg F. I suspect duct seal melts much below that.
Do your fuel guys ever get inspections.? Seems like waste to install a seal and then not seal it correctly.
Perhaps a refresher is in order for your fuel guys...
Here is a great resource https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e.../crouse-hinds/crouse-hinds-codedigest2017.pdf

oldsparky52

The only thing you might be able to use duct seal for is to seal a conduit used in accordance with section 504.

It is a horrible damming material and it is not x-proof. Manufacturer instructions require you to use their packing material.

Status
Not open for further replies.