Seal off at class I div 2 boundary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mbob

501.15 B2 tells us when passing through a class I div 2 boundary in to an unclassified location we need a seal off with in 10' of entering or exiting the classified location. If we install IMC conduit through the boundary wall and install the sealoff on the unclassified side of the boundary on the end of our IMC conduit can we come out the other side of the seal off with EMT conduit (in the unclassified side)?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
501.15 B2 tells us when passing through a class I div 2 boundary in to an unclassified location we need a seal off with in 10' of entering or exiting the classified location. If we install IMC conduit through the boundary wall and install the sealoff on the unclassified side of the boundary on the end of our IMC conduit can we come out the other side of the seal off with EMT conduit (in the unclassified side)?

I don't see why you couldn't as long as you used a proper transition fitting. Once you are out of the classified area the wiring methods required to be used in the classified areas no longer apply.

Mbob

My question was with the intention of having IMC in to one side of the sealoff and an EMT connector in the other side of the sealoff--the EMT obviously being in the unclassified area

thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My question was with the intention of having IMC in to one side of the sealoff and an EMT connector in the other side of the sealoff--the EMT obviously being in the unclassified area

thanks
Note what I said before.

I don't see why you couldn't as long as you used a proper transition fitting. Once you are out of the classified area the wiring methods required to be used in the classified areas no longer apply.

How is this any different than transitioning from any wiring method to another wiring method as long as it is done in the appropriate manner.

There is nothing in the code anywhere that I have ever run across that says that just because you started out with one wiring method that you could not transition to another at some point along the way. in fact that is very common.

Status
Not open for further replies.