sealing seal-offs below freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonkss

hi, just a quick question. i have about 30 seal-offs thati i have to pour at a landfill below freezing. everything i read on the can says it must be installed above freezing and that the seal must be kept above freezing for eight hours to cure. just wondering if thereis a product out there that can be used for this situation. i also heard that you can mix it with rv antifreeze but i havent found anything on tha subject. any help will be appreciated. thanks, mike, providence electric

coulter

Yes, they have to be kept above freezing till they harden.

General practice here is to use an flexible electric heating pad, with an insulation blanket - all night. The flex heating pads are often the type sold for auto oilpan heating, so they are real common in the auto parts stores - well here anyway :)

Another practice where power is not available is to use chemical hand warmers - also with insulation. Sporting goods stores have these. But they only last for a couple of hours so they have to be changed several times till the Chico hardens. Really a bummer job at -40F. Can't say I've ever tryed it at -60F.

For insulation blankets, ordinary fiberglass insulation held with tape, covered with visqueen(sp?) held with tape, works pretty well.

I have never heard of using rv antifreeze. I've heard of people using methanol or isopropyl alcohol, but I don't have any data on how well it worked.

The reason for knowing this is just another of the benefits of living in the Great North :)

carl

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I have no problem endorsing Carl's primary solutions. Before you tinker with a chemical solution for the sealing compound though I'd check with the manufacturer. Seals/sealing compounds are generally jointly listed and anything that affects the sealing compound's chemistry needs the manufacturer's approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.