Sealing washers

Stubby

Occupation
Electrical
I had inspector turn me down. Said I can't use a sealing washer above live parts. I used a TA adapter with the sealing washer. What code section are sealing washers and Myers hubs in

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Look at 312.2. Aren't terminal adapters listed for wet locations? I believe that Carlon makes seals specifically for TA's.

312.2 Damp and Wet Locations.
In damp or wet locations, surface-type enclosures within the scope of this article shall be placed or equipped so as to prevent moisture or water from entering and accumulating within the cabinet or cutout box, and shall be mounted so there is at least 6-mm (1∕ 4-in.) airspace between the enclosure and the wall or other supporting surface. Enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof. For enclosures in wet
locations, raceways or cables entering above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations.

I had inspector turn me down. Said I can't use a sealing washer above live parts. I used a TA adapter with the sealing washer. What code section are sealing washers and Myers hubs in
He is both right and wrong. You can absolutely use a sealing lock nut above live parts, that is the whole point of them. However you cannot use them on a TA, they are only listed for use with rigid. Like Rob said, they make an o-ring to make TA's watertight, but only up to and including 2-in size I believe.

Stubby

Occupation
Electrical
Yes but this is a sealing washer there is a difference. Sealing washers have gaskets on both sides