Sealtite - Need additional support if < 12"

Status
Not open for further replies.

masher

If a piece of sealtite is <12" long, does it need additional support other than that provided by the device it is terminating at?

For instance, conduit ends within 11" of a motor, can 350.30(A) be interpreted to mean that the terminal box of the motor(which is within 12" of the end of the conduit could be the support for the sealtite, or does there have to be an additional support between the end of the conduit and the motor terminal box???

Thanks!!

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
As long as the conduit is properly supported, 350.30 Exception 2 should allow what you describe without additional support for the LFMC.

masher

sealtite <12"

sealtite <12"

I think in order to use Exception #2, the question would hinge on whether or not "flexibility is necessary after installation".

In most of our situations, the motor is not moving, and therefore technically the only reason we would want some flexibility is to make it easier to replace the motor in the future.

I also did notice that in the notes, it says that LFMC fittings are not considered to be a means of support.

I guess I don't know what the original intent of the people that wrote this section of the code, so like many other issues in the NEC, this seems to be a gray area........

Any thoughts?

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
IMO, the flexibility issue for a motor can be as simple as citing vibration as the issue. And as you mentioned for future servicing/changeout reasons so you are covered there. I wouldn't sweat the support issue in the installation you described. I've seen it done that way many times without challenge.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Any thoughts?
Same here as A/A regarding flexibility.

In the '08 code, 350.30(A) Exception No. 2 securing is based on the nearest raceway support rather than the length or supporting solely of the LFMC. It starts at 3' for 1/2" to 1-1/4" and incrementally increases 4', 5', and 6' for larger sizes of raceway.

buldogg

IMO, the flexibility issue for a motor can be as simple as citing vibration as the issue. And as you mentioned for future servicing/changeout reasons so you are covered there. I wouldn't sweat the support issue in the installation you described. I've seen it done that way many times without challenge.

I agree 100%. Most all of our motors have liquidtite even longer than that

pfalcon

If a piece of sealtite is <12" long, does it need additional support other than that provided by the device it is terminating at?

For instance, conduit ends within 11" of a motor, can 350.30(A) be interpreted to mean that the terminal box of the motor(which is within 12" of the end of the conduit could be the support for the sealtite, or does there have to be an additional support between the end of the conduit and the motor terminal box???

Thanks!!

Providing you are using a sealtite connector to attach to the device then it is "Securely Fastened" within 12 inches since it is end fastened with a listed device. Providing the device is securely supported then an end fastened to the device is also supported.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the application meets the "After Installation" then exception 2 will apply. If it does not apply then the basic rule of 350.30(A) will apply.
Yes, but does the NEC really define the necessity for flexibility. To ease the changing of a motor (IF a need or desire arises) would suffice for me :D

Flex

I try not to be mentally challenged but this thread makes zero sense to me going back to the OP's question that is.

He is asking if a piece of sealtight is less than 11" does there have to be an additional support between the end of the conduit and the motor terminal box?

iwire

Staff member
I did not say there was an allowance I just feel this is silly...Think about a simple <12" Length per OP not secured.....who cares. There has got to be some bigger fish out there somewhere to fry.:)

I asumed the OP was looking for he NEC answer not the common use answer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.