Searching for a metal outlet box, 4 inches high, but 2 or less inches deep

Status
Not open for further replies.

itisdillon

Occupation
QA
The cabinet installers cut out 4x2 holes for outlets on the side of the kitchen island. (I am aware of the new NEC on island receptacles).

I'd like to run MC to a metal box. I searched for an hour last night, and couldn't find anything. I have 2 inches before it hits the track for the drawer. Everything I am finding is 3 inches high, or more than 2 inches deep, or a handy box (which I won't be able to mount).

Am I missing something?

TIA

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just use a 1900 box (1.5" deep) with a mud ring. It can be held in from the back with screws or construction adhesive.

itisdillon

Occupation
QA
1900 box is 4x4, right? Stick it behind the 4x2 hole? I still don't see how it can be attached with screws as the only place for screws is the back of the box which will be almost up against the drawer track.

There is also about 1/2 inch of paneling, so I would need a pretty beefy mud ring.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
1900 box is 4x4, right? Stick it behind the 4x2 hole? I still don't see how it can be attached with screws as the only place for screws is the back of the box which will be almost up against the drawer track.

There is also about 1/2 inch of paneling, so I would need a pretty beefy mud ring.
Then 1/2" mud ring. You have to be creative, you can just glue the box in place from the back side. Or drill two holes in the mud ring that line up with holes in the back of the box insert your screw tip through the back of the box and screw it to the cabinet. I've used both silicone and construction adhesive with excellent results.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can also use a bracket behind the 1900 box if you aren't concerned what it looks like within the cabinet. A Caddy TSGB cut down to 4" can be screwed in from the cabinet inside to hold the box in place.

itisdillon

Occupation
QA
You can also use a bracket behind the 1900 box if you aren't concerned what it looks like within the cabinet. A Caddy TSGB cut down to 4" can be screwed in from the cabinet inside to hold the box in place.

Thank you, had no idea these existed!

itisdillon

Occupation
QA
OOS- out of stock

My occupation is not electrician or trade related.

Code wise it doesn't matter so you tell us.

Good to know code wise it doesn't matter. Can't tell anyone anything since I'm asking if there are any risks with MC to steel box to metal drawer track.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OOS- out of stock

My occupation is not electrician or trade related.
So with that being the case we will have to close the thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.