Seattle High Rise Stariway Doors

Status
Not open for further replies.

yursparky

Hi all - been a while since I've been here, but have a unique geographical question.

2006 Seattle building code 403.12 requires wiring to be installed to facilitate future installation of locking hardware, when stairway doors are installed that do not lock from the stairway side. This applies to high-rise buildings and is above and beyond IBC 403.12, which only requires those doors to be unlocked in case of fire. Not sure if any other municipality has similar requirements.

My question is, how far would you "pre-wire" the door frames? Currently there is no provision for any locking hardware, ie no j-box in the door frames. Maybe someone has had this experience and could share?

I am waiting on building code official call back, so will keep you posted.

hurk27

The last one I done, here I ran 1/4" or 3/8" flex to a point or box above the drop ceiling down to the top side of the striker plate in the jamb.

I understand the requirement of the door to remain unlocked when a fire breaks out, but isn't there something that requires that the involved floor(s) to be re-locked when the heat detectors are tripped that are located by the door of the involved floor? I mean you wouldn't want to have someone open a door into an involved floor?

iwire

Staff member
I understand the requirement of the door to remain unlocked when a fire breaks out, but isn't there something that requires that the involved floor(s) to be re-locked when the heat detectors are tripped that are located by the door of the involved floor? I mean you wouldn't want to have someone open a door into an involved floor?

I have never heard of any rule like that.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I have never heard of any rule like that.

I believe its a fairly recent requirement. I believe it was enacted shortly following a fairly well publicized incident (in Chicago I believe) where the fire dept was fighting a fire from a stairwell. People trying to exit through the stairwell were ordered to turn around and go back up the stairs. Unknown to the fire dept., all of the upper level exits from the stairwell were locked. Several people died from smoke inhalation.

hurk27

I was talking about locking the doors, not unlocking them.

I think Bob I was remembering that from an elevator thread a few years ago, and my mind crossed it up with stairs for some reason, but doesn't sound too bad of an idea.
I don't do allot of work in highrises in this area for the lack of them, but we do have a few 5 story buildings.

Status
Not open for further replies.