second service - bond to water main?

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi constant

Hi all,
I am working on an ice arena equipment upgrade project - imagine two rinks connected by a link (main entry lobby, ticketing, concessions, restrooms, etc). It is currently fed by a utility service to the rink #1 equipment room. We are adding a second service to the rink #2 equipment room. The contractor has noted the new service needs to bond to the water main, which is in the rink #1 equipment room - a long, long, long ways away. I believe the code reads you have to bond to the electrodes "where available". Although this electrode is technically available it seems this is excessive. Is there an exception or alternate way to approach this?
Thanks!

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
Would 250.68(C)(2) apply to you which could allow the metal structural frame to be used for connecting electrodes?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If bwat's suggestion doesn't work, I think your only other way out would be if you can make a reasonable argument that the two rinks are separate structures. This sounds a bit dubious in your case

malachi constant

Would 250.68(C)(2) apply to you which could allow the metal structural frame to be used for connecting electrodes?
I did not know of that exception and believe it will apply here. I am certain the two rinks are both metal frame structure. Worst case they will have to jumper through the link to bond the two arenas together. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.