secondary conductors enclosed in raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me get this wright if my conductors are not over 10ft long coming off my transformer secondary going to my panelboard I must install them in conduit and not metal flex 240.21C2 #3 :angel:

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Let me get this wright if my conductors are not over 10ft long coming off my transformer secondary going to my panelboard I must install them in conduit and not metal flex 240.21C2 #3 :angel:

flexible metal conduit is a raceway, see 'raceways' in definitions.

liquidtite

yes but isnt their a new code change were you cant have more than 5ft of flex.You could always run emt if its longer than 10ft and then transfer to flex with a rigid coupling this would allow for vibrations .

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
yes but isnt their a new code change were you cant have more than 5ft of flex.You could always run emt if its longer than 10ft and then transfer to flex with a rigid coupling this would allow for vibrations .

I don't see a change in 240.21(C). Can you elaborate ?

liquidtite

I dont have a recent nec but from what I hear witch could be bs that your only allowed 5ft of flex.Alot of the jobs im on in the specs only allow for 5ft of flex aswell so i thought it to be true but you would know better than just here say

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I dont have a recent nec but from what I hear witch could be bs that your only allowed 5ft of flex.Alot of the jobs im on in the specs only allow for 5ft of flex aswell so i thought it to be true but you would know better than just here say
In general, the code does not limit the lenght of flexible metal conduit.

copper chopper

I think that old line of vibration BS. that I have to hook up a xmer with flexable metal conduit is a farse.. I have been doing this for 28 years now and I have hooked up around 30 xmers with conduit right to them. They dont make any more noise than if they were with a flexable means.. and there is always an equipment ground in every primary and secondary that I run. just in case those guys out there that say it will rattle loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.