Secondary Transformer Protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackowl

When is secondary protection on transformers REQUIRED by code? I have a 480vac switchgear feeding a transformer from a circuit breaker. This transformer is feeding a 208vac gear with main lug only. Is this acceptable or must the secondary gear have a main circuit breaker?

ron

Re: Secondary Transformer Protection

What size is the xfmr and what size is the primary protection? We will be refering to Table 450.3(B).
Also see 240.21(C)(1).

[ May 30, 2003, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: ron ]

blackowl

The primary protection is a 1000 amp circuit breaker, transformer is 750 KVA. I believe this is 110% and secondary protection would not be needed. However, This is a delta/wye transformer. Section 240-21(c)(1)states the secondary conductors are not considered to be protected by the primary overcurrent protective device. This run is under 10' long. If I can comply with all of the requirements of 240-21(c)(2)can I consider these secondary conductors protected?

dereckbc

Staff member

Blackowl, there are only two conditions where the transformer secondary conductors are not required to have protection.

1. A transformer with a 2-wire primary and a 2-wire secondary, and the primary is protected the in accordance with 450.3.

2. A 3 phase, delta-delta-connected transformer having a 3-wire, single voltage secondary, provided its primary is protected in accordance to 450.3.

Since you have a delta/wye transformer you need secondary protection. Refer to 240.4(F), 240.21(C), and 450.3.... Dereck

bwyllie

Article 240.21.C.2 would apply here and would allow secondary conductors without OCPD as long as the 3 conditions were met. HOWEVER what is protecting the switchgear which is fed from this transformer?

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer

Bwyllie, I would have to disagree with your reading of 240.21.C.2 allowing secondary conductors without an OCPD. Instead, I think 240.21.C.2(1)(b) indicates that the secondary conductors are allowed to be protected by the OCPD at the termination of the conductors. For this reason, the ampacity of the conductors is required to be not less than the rating of the OCPD at the conductor termination. Derek was correct when he indicated that there are only two conditions that do not require transformer secondary conductor protection.

Dave

blackowl

Section 240-21 (c)TRANSFORMER SECONDARY CONDUCTORS states that conductors shall be permitted to be connected to a transformer secondary, sithout overcurrent protection at the secondary, as specified in (1) through (4).
240-21 (c)(2) states "Where the length of secondary conductor does not exceed 10 ft and complies with all of the following". These conductors can be limited to less than 10' and I believe I can satisfy the three requirements. It is my "Interpretation" that I will not need a "Main Circuit Breaker" in this switchboard and main lugs will suffice.

dereckbc

Staff member

Puzzling uh. I tried your method some time ago and got dinged by 240.4(F). I understand the confusion of 240.21(C)(2), it conflicts with 240.4(F). The problem is the secondary-to-primary voltage ratio.

For example lets say we have a 83KVA, 480 delta input, and 208/120Y secondary. We fuse the primary at 125 amp breaker for a 100 FLA, We size the secondary conductors for 230 amps FLA. A 120 line to neutral load could draw up to 400 amps before the primary side OCPD operated, which could cause dangerous overloading of the secondary conductors.

At least that is my take on the subject.. Dereck

[ May 30, 2003, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

bob

Owl bring up an interesting point if he can comply with 240.21.C2.
C2.1.b states that the secondary conductors must be not less that the rating of the device at the termination of the secondary conductors and if he is connecting to a
400 amp panel and the bus is rated at 400 amps
and the conductors are at least equal to 400 amps,
doesn't he meet these requirements?
I would prefer to install a main breaker.

[ May 30, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: bob ]

dereckbc

Staff member

Bob maybee, but how do you get around 240.4(F)? Which states: Single phase (other than 2-wire) or multiphase (other than delta-delta 3-wire) transformer secondary conductors shall not be considered to be protected by the primary OCPD.

That takes me back to what I said were the only two conditions where a primary could protect the secondary.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Dereck,
I don't think that 240.4(F) enters into this. These are tap conductors and I belive that as long as the ampacity of the conductors between the transformer and the panel have an ampacity at least equal to the panel rating that 240.21(C)(2) will permit this installation. The language in 240.21(C)(2) is poor, but the word "device" would apply to the panel. I'm not sure if this was really the CMP's intent, but it is what the words say. This section does not require any specific protection for these tap conductors.
Don

dereckbc

Staff member

Don I understand, and have gone through the arguments before. Won a few, lost a few. But after I got snake bit a few years ago by an AHJ with his interpetation, I have just always provided seconday protection as the code certainly permits this approach to be empolyed.

bwyllie

what is the secondary switchgear feeding? Is there more than 6 disconnects in this switchgear? If not, what is the total of the OCPDS? I am referring to Table 450.3(B) Note 2

brian john

On the same issue, we have had a running disagreement with the AHJ and between ourselves in the office.
In the following installation what is the maximum allowable overcurrent protection and minimum allowable conductor size to comply with the NEC.

45 KVA with primary and secondary overcurrent protection. Copper conductors.

Connected secondary load is calculated at 100 amps.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Brian,
What are the system voltages and where is the secondary OCPD located in relation to the transformer?
Don

brian john

It is the little facts left out that cause major problems, sorry

480 delta primary 208/120 secondary, the primary overcurrent protection and secondary overcurrent protection are located adjacent to the transformer,
Fused safety switch primary, main CB in a 200 amp rated bus panel secondary.

bwyllie

Primary OCPD: 125A (250% of FLA(135A))
Secondary OCPD: 150A(125% of FLA(156A))

The size of the wire depends of the type of load, linear vs non-linear load, is the neutral considered current carrying? K-Rated for 200% neutral also?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Maximum permitted primary OCPD 125 amps with #2 copper. Maximum permitted secondary OCPD is 175 amps with 2/0 copper. Based on the 100 amp load you could use a 100 amp secondary OCPD with #3. You could also use a primary OCPD of 60 amps and #6 wire based on the calculated load.
don

bwyllie

you're right about the 175A, in our typical design we use 150A but Code does allow 175A

blackowl

Thank you all for your input. This issue seems clear as mud. I believe my best course is to ask the authority having jurisdiction and/or just install a main circuit breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.