Section 422.31(B)

Grouch1980

This excerpt is from the 2008 NEC, which I'm still on:

Appliances Rated over 300 Volt-Amperes or 1⁄8 Horsepower. For permanently connected appliances rated over 300 volt-amperes or 1⁄8 hp, the branch-circuit switch or circuit breaker shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means where the switch or circuit breaker is within sight from the appliance or is capable of being locked in the open position. The provision for locking or adding a lock to the disconnecting means shall be installed on or at the switch or circuit breaker used as the disconnecting means and shall remain in place with or without the lock installed.

Just making sure I follow this correctly:

Case #1: Let's say I have a circuit breaker feeding a hardwired range. The circuit breaker is not in sight of the range. However, I have a disconnect switch adjacent to the range. There's no need to have a lockable circuit breaker correct?

Case #2: Same as above, but now both the circuit breaker and disconnect switch are not in sight of the range. EITHER the circuit breaker or the disconnect switch need to be lockable, correct?