Securing MC cable in horizontal cable tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiten

Recently when working on a welding buss feed in the plant, one of my co-workers asked if we had to securly fasten a 3/c 500 mcm MC cable in the horizonal sections of the tray. When looking in the code book, it mention that MC cable should be secured in other than the horizonal section (318-8b}. We mention this to our master and he said that the cable had to be fastened every 6 foot. My other co-workers and I would like the right answer. Can anyone help us? thank you Hiten

toddb1963

Re: Securing MC cable in horizontal cable tray

refer to nec 2002 article 330.30 it say that type mc cable shall be SUPPORTED and SECURED at intervals not exceeding 6ft.
nec 1999 article 334.10(a)(1) say the same thing only more detailed. this is in my opinion and may not reflect the opinions of others.
besides the boss signs the check, if he says strap it, strap it.

hurk27

Re: Securing MC cable in horizontal cable tray

I does say that?
318-8. Cable Installation
(b) Fastened Securely. In other than horizontal runs, the cables shall be fastened securely to transverse members of the cable trays.

And in the 2002 NEC

392.8 Cable Installation.
(B) Fastened Securely. In other than horizontal runs , the cables shall be fastened securely to transverse members of the cable trays.

But I dont think you can get away from the requirment of:

318-3. Uses Permitted
Cable tray installations shall not be limited to industrial establishments.
(a) Wiring Methods. The following shall be permitted to be installed in cable tray systems under the conditions described in their respective articles and sections :
Table 392.3(A) Wiring Methods
Metal-clad cable

I which requires that it be secured at intervals of not longer than 6'

Status
Not open for further replies.