security cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

My doctor wants cameras at his office, one each corner outside, a fairly long one story building, drop ceiling inside, and two indoor cameras. I have not done any security cameras and would appreciate any info or links. I have seen the kits that come with 100' leads but would rather run my own wire than be short with factory leads. Of course he's cheap, it's a brand new building, I told him call his security company and he said they wanted to much, so I am thinking basic here. Thanks inn advance.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since you're new to this type of installation I would suggest an all in one type system where you buy the cameras, DVR, monitor and everything else in a kit which makes it plug and play. Otherwise the variables for different components, types of cameras, etc. are endless. Although I have no knowledge of the system in the photo this is the type of system I'm suggesting:
security-camera-system-LH118LED24-L1.png

iwire

Staff member
The security company has experience and knows what it costs.

In my opinion you are fighting an uphill battle, if you come up with a price the doctor likes you will either lose money or the doctor will not be happy with the results ... Or both of those will happen due to repeated trips and changes to make it work.

One other issue is your area may require you to be licensed for security work. My state requires an additional license beyond my electrical license.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The security company has experience and knows what it costs.

In my opinion you are fighting an uphill battle, if you come up with a price the doctor likes you will either lose money or the doctor will not be happy with the results ... Or both of those will happen due to repeated trips and changes to make it work.

One other issue is your area may require you to be licensed for security work. My state requires an additional license beyond my electrical license.

My state also requires a specific license for security devices. There is a difference between security and surveillance. No additional license is needed for surveillance in my state.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
My doctor wants cameras at his office, one each corner outside, a fairly long one story building, drop ceiling inside, and two indoor cameras. I have not done any security cameras and would appreciate any info or links. I have seen the kits that come with 100' leads but would rather run my own wire than be short with factory leads. Of course he's cheap, it's a brand new building, I told him call his security company and he said they wanted to much, so I am thinking basic here. Thanks inn advance.

If you make the leads to the cameras longer, you may degrade or even lose the signal. If he is cheap and has money, I would suggest you not have him as a customer, and that is from experience.

If he is a doctor and is cheap, I may even go so far as to not have him as a doctor. I sure wouldn't want a doctor that is getting the cheapest medical equipment supplies there is from people outside THAT particular trade.

iwire

Staff member
My state also requires a specific license for security devices. There is a difference between security and surveillance. No additional license is needed for surveillance in my state.

Here door access controls, burg alarms and camera work require a background check to get the security license. Many cameras are now part of the burg system and are used for motion detection.

iwire

Staff member
If he is cheap and has money, I would suggest you not have him as a customer, and that is from experience.

I could not possibly agree more with that.:thumbsup: He will be an unsatisfied complainer.

If he is a doctor and is cheap, I may even go so far as to not have him as a doctor. I sure wouldn't want a doctor that is getting the cheapest medical equipment supplies there is from people outside THAT particular trade.

Interesting point. :eek:hmy:

mgookin

There's a very broad range of what's out there as far as security cameras. Online monitoring via phone, pc, etc. How long of a history do you want on the dvr. Motion activation and sending pics of activity via text, quality of camera, wireless vs. wired, etc.

For someone not in it to pick up from scratch because someone does not want to pay market rate is a dice roll for all involved. And you don't want to upset your doctor when your life may count on it.

Give him some free advice: Get at least 3 quotes from qualified, experienced local vendors. Offer to meet with those vendors.

GerryB

Thanks for the replys, at least I had a good chuckle. He's not cheap when it comes to his billing or ordering tests. What I'll probably do if anything is tell him to buy the kit like in the first post, I'll run the wires for him and he or his office people can hook it up and program everything. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks for the replys, at least I had a good chuckle. He's not cheap when it comes to his billing or ordering tests. What I'll probably do if anything is tell him to buy the kit like in the first post, I'll run the wires for him and he or his office people can hook it up and program everything. Thanks.

That's probably the best situation for you as the installer. Security camera systems can be very complex when you start getting into PoE cameras, DVR's, software, IP addresses, etc. and without some knowledge on how that all works your idea is best suited for what you want to accomplish.

iwire

Staff member
Ditto what Infinity said.

I have only a bit of knowledge about it but have gone with a buddy when he was setting up systems. It can be quite a pain.

kwired

Electron manager
Since you're new to this type of installation I would suggest an all in one type system where you buy the cameras, DVR, monitor and everything else in a kit which makes it plug and play. Otherwise the variables for different components, types of cameras, etc. are endless. Although I have no knowledge of the system in the photo this is the type of system I'm suggesting:
security-camera-system-LH118LED24-L1.png
interesting set of images on the monitor there, looks like a home installed system, but then we have one room that must be a grocery store:cool:

GUNNING

WHAT DOES HE WANT TO PROTECT?

WHAT DOES HE WANT TO PROTECT?

If he is interested in seeing the wild life and his stuff leaving in the back of a car then the 4 corners sound good. He needs to decide what he wants to keep an eye on. Paitents at the desk? Pharm closet? Parking lot? Front door? Waiting room? Parking lot? Then you can know what kind of a system you will need and how many cameras. The Systems are pretty much idiot proof to install. Goto You Tube to get an idea on installation. As for licensing I do not know, here its low voltage and if you know your address and can print it clearly you can pass the exam. Look into notification and signage and IP protocols to email pics. Ive got em on my van and front door, it has cut down the door to door alarm salesman visitations. I say go for it. The DVR's are good for documentation but not real good for prevention. The thugs just pull up their hoodies and avoid the known cameras so no faces. Cars you get hoods and no plates. That is why I say do the specific areas not general areas. You can get an ok system for under $200 with 8 cameras on Ebay. I say give it a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.