Security Gate Voltage Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKraync

I am working on a security gate installation. The electrical cabinet at the gate has 10 amps max loading (120V single phase). It is feed by a 20 amp circuit breaker. Do I have to size the feeder wire to the panel for a voltage drop at 20 amps or can I use the 10 amp loading since it is a dedicated circuit. What code section do I use to justify it with the inspector.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
KKraync said:
I am working on a security gate installation. The electrical cabinet at the gate has 10 amps max loading (120V single phase). It is feed by a 20 amp circuit breaker. Do I have to size the feeder wire to the panel for a voltage drop at 20 amps or can I use the 10 amp loading since it is a dedicated circuit. What code section do I use to justify it with the inspector.

The NEC is quiet on voltage drop in that scenario. There is FPN about VD in note 4 to art 210.19(A)(1). It is a good idea to figure VD regardless.

I would use the 10 amps for calculation purposes

tryinghard

Size the branch circuit conductor supplying the gate with the gates actual 10A load. With NEC I?d start in Definitions: ?Branch Circuit, Individual?, then 210-19, then 210-21(B)(1), & 210-23.

In this light you can supply the individual load and respect 3% VD, so VD=2x12.9xIxD/CM (Table 8), of course the 3% of 120 V would be 3.6 volts loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.