Security Network Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I am doing some security take-off and I see each floor has an access control panelthat the wiring is run to but then there looks to be a tie from the ACP to a network switch(each floor also). The network switch says "by others"> Doesn't the security contractor furnish it? Thanks.

wireguru

im blindly gueessing here, but the run to the network switch by others is probably to connect the acp to the building's network for administration of the access control system.

nhfire77

im blindly gueessing here, but the run to the network switch by others is probably to connect the acp to the building's network for administration of the access control system.

Agreed. What model ACP?

Perhaps a honeywell NETAxs??

dbuckley

The network switch says "by others"> Doesn't the security contractor furnish it?
Generally not.

This state of affairs is quite common now that access systems, BMS etc, even some FAPs all expect to be connnected to an IP network. Commonly, that IP network is provided by the building's tenants, using their networking gear used for the business.

In some cases it can be quite sophisticated; where I am currently employed there are seperate VLANs for building management and access control networks, so that their traffic is effectively isolated from the ordinary data networking, but still uses the same infrastructure.

Expect this to become even more common; IP networking is regarded as being ubiquitous.

Stallzer

Doesn't the security contractor furnish it?

Never ! The last thing the company's IT Director wants is to have some contractor install some cheap Router / Switch that he picked up from Best Buy for $29.00 and slap it in the middle of his Cisco 6500 catalyst Network that he just spent $80,000.00 on.

Networking is always "Provided by owner" Their IT staff should issue you enough IP addresses for your panels, you program the IP addy's plug into network and away you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.