Seeking Advice on Integrating Smart Glasses for the Visually Impaired into Electrical Safety Workflows

utsource

New User
Occupation
technician
Hello Mike Holt Community,

I'm a developer working on an innovative project aimed at enhancing the safety and efficiency of visually impaired individuals in the electrical field. We are currently in the process of developing smart glasses specifically designed to assist those with visual impairments. These glasses will provide real-time audio feedback and guidance through various environments, potentially aiding in tasks that involve electrical safety.

Given the specialized nature of the electrical trade and the importance of adhering to strict safety standards, I wanted to reach out to this knowledgeable community for some advice:

Integration into Workflows: How could smart glasses be most effectively integrated into the daily workflows of electricians, particularly those with visual impairments? Are there specific tasks where such a device could be a game-changer?

Compliance with Safety Standards: What are the key safety standards and codes that we should be aware of when designing this technology? How can we ensure that our product not only assists but also enhances safety compliance?

Feedback on Features: We are considering features like voice-activated controls, real-time hazard detection, and step-by-step procedural guidance. Are there other features that you believe would be beneficial for someone in the electrical field?

User Testing and Feedback: Once we have a prototype ready, we would love to conduct user testing with professionals from this field. If anyone here would be interested in participating or knows someone who might, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for your insights and any advice you can provide. We believe that this technology could make a significant difference, and your expertise is invaluable in helping us get it right.

Best regards,
Lenalena

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

You might want to remove your street address from your location and just leave the city and state.

TwistLock

Occupation
Electrician
I don’t know about the visually impaired but there are plenty of mentally-impaired individuals working in the trades that could benefit from assistance. The current solution is sending these crews out into the field with FaceTime back to one license holder in an office.
However, I sincerely doubt the capability of AI to guide a human through a complex & constantly varied environment that is loaded with undocumented boobytraps, while accurately assessing the wildly changing nuances involved, without making what is essentially a very expensive toaster.