Seeving for protection...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I run into this situation from time to time. Rewiring old home where the outside walls are plaster right on the brick. Normally I'd run the receptacle circuits in the basement and shoot piece of romex up to each receptacle and sleeve it in a piece of wiremold 500 where exposed to the wiremold box on the wall. I've always run the romex right into the cut and deburred end of the wiremold sticking down into the basement an inch or so. Wiremold does make bushings to put in the cut end, but these fall out when used in this application. They also make a fitting that is a little tiny box that just has a knockout in it. This could be used, if necessary, to install a regular snap-in bushing into before it enters the wiremold sleeve, but it would increase the per outlet cost substantially. I've just put the romex into the cut end of the wiremold when sleeving for years, but I have never been especially comfortable with doing so. I've never been gigged for it during inspections either. Options and opinions?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Re: Seeving for protection...

Your sleeve is fine as long as it's deburred properly. A bushing is not required.

davedottcom

I've done it with out the bushing a few times in a pinch... I made sure the wire had a nice straight shot into the wiremold and secured the wire for minimal movement. I also wrapped the wire with Tape (Just where it entered)until it fit snug into the end of the wiremold, then continued to tape around the wire and the W.M. The sheathing couldn't make any contact with the edges.
Overkill? Probably! :D That's just the way I am. :p
Last year I did a small house re-wire. A lot of Wire Mold! :roll: I convinced the owner to install 5" baseboards so I could run the mold around the rooms and have the outlets mounted on the baseboards as well. Baseboards and wiremold were all painted white... didn't look too bad!
I used the "slip in" 1/2" threaded ends & bushings for the stubs down into the basement. They don't fall out if you crimp the ends of the wiremold down just a bit before you "Tap" it in.
The 20.00 for the fittings and bushings was money well spent for piece of mind. Especially where it so visible!

Dave

mdshunk

Originally posted by davedottcom:
I also wrapped the wire with Tape (Just where it entered)until it fit snug into the end of the wiremold, then continued to tape around the wire and the W.M. The sheathing couldn't make any contact with the edges.
I'm sure that looked really nice. :eek: If I saw that, I'd automatically thing that it was damaged, and someone was trying to cover something up. About the only thing I use tape for nowadays is for dressing a wire pull.

[ July 01, 2005, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

Status
Not open for further replies.