Self-grounding outlet bonded to metal faceplate

Jimca

Occupation
Engineer
I'm building out a workshop in a garage I'm renting and while inspecting the electrical wiring, I noticed that one of the outlets is only grounded when the faceplate is screwed into the metal box. Looks like the grounding frame only makes contact with the faceplate, and relies on the faceplate fasteners for the connection to ground. Is this a code violation that I should report to the owner?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm building out a workshop in a garage I'm renting and while inspecting the electrical wiring, I noticed that one of the outlets is only grounded when the faceplate is screwed into the metal box. Looks like the grounding frame only makes contact with the faceplate, and relies on the faceplate fasteners for the connection to ground. Is this a code violation that I should report to the owner?
Welcome to the forum.

It's permissible when the manufacturer lists the assembly to do so, which most do these days.

What is never permissible is grounding the box through the same contact.

The box must be directly grounded (bonded) through a conduit or conductor.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
More information and a closer look would be needed, before I could answer your question. Some additional troubleshooting would be in order. The code does sometimes allow metal conduit and metal outlet boxes to serve as part of an equipment grounding path.

However, forum rules do not allow us to assist you with troubleshooting, nor with any appropriate corrective measures, as you are not an electrician.

Jimca

Occupation
Engineer
Welcome to the forum.

It's permissible when the manufacturer lists the assembly to do so, which most do these days.
Thank you.

Okay, assuming it's permissible by the manufacturer, then I believe this should be permitted per NEC 250.146.

forum rules do not allow us to assist you with troubleshooting, nor with any appropriate corrective measures, as you are not an electrician.
Understood. Just an engineer running expensive equipment and want to make sure things are up-to-code. The rest of the house is knob-and-tube with zero grounding (excluding the bathroom and kitchen), so I wanted to ensure the garage was wired up right.

Here are images of the outlet. Note that the two outlets are on independent breakers not tied together, but use the same neutral wire. I'm fairly certain this is a code violation.

wm28Mtk.jpeg

1Qxby6g.jpeg

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Note that the two outlets are on independent breakers not tied together, but use the same neutral wire. I'm fairly certain this is a code violation.
It's okay as long as the two hots are either on the same breaker, or they are on opposing lines (they would have 240v between them).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here are images of the outlet. Note that the two outlets are on independent breakers not tied together, but use the same neutral wire. I'm fairly certain this is a code violation.
Yes a handle tie or multi-pole CB is required. The lack of a bonding jumper from the receptacle to the box is not a code issue.