Self Healing Systems

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
We’re having a lot of storms here in central NC. Reporters were talking with a Duke Energy field manager. He spoke of self healing systems they are starting to use. A line goes down, system notes the lost load & reroutes power another route if possible. How cool is that? I’d love to see the technology. I suppose some form of double end feeding? I’m sure that’s a help to the linemen out there. I have never envied their job a bit.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The tech has been around for a while. It's just ability to monitor and control switches remotely to bypass and route around a down line. But not really "self healing" as in repairing the broken line.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
The tech has been around for a while. It's just ability to monitor and control switches remotely to bypass and route around a down line. But not really "self healing" as in repairing the broken line.
Yeah, I knew there would still be repairs, but this is sure a big help lessening outages during storms.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Nothing new under the Sun. :)