self regulating heat trace circuit

wmthompson90

Occupation
electrician
How are you determining the length of self regulating heat trace you can have on a circuit? learned the hard way you can not use the watts per foot to determine ampacity.

wmthompson90

Occupation
electrician
200’ of 120v 8 watt self regulating heat trace will not hold on. 20 amp circuit when ambient temperature drops to a certain level. Ohms law will tell us it should only draw 13 amps. With self regulating cable and pipe not yet insulated it starts off at around 70 amps and slowly drops before tripping

retirede

I believe the watts per foot rating is at some reference temperature. If the temp drops below that, it will be more. Do you have the detailed specs?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
200’ of 120v 8 watt self regulating heat trace will not hold on. 20 amp circuit when ambient temperature drops to a certain level. Ohms law will tell us it should only draw 13 amps. With self regulating cable and pipe not yet insulated it starts off at around 70 amps and slowly drops before tripping
It is doing what it should do. Installation instructions list the length and breaker size recommended. The one brand I looked at shows 180' on a 20 amp. Of course, YMMV.

wmthompson90

Occupation
electrician
It is doing what it should do. Installation instructions list the length and breaker size recommended. The one brand I looked at shows 180' on a 20 amp. Of course, YMMV
did not come with instructions but a quick search on there website with mode number found it. thanks.