Self testing GFCI Breakers?

VirutalElectrician

Occupation
Sparky - Trying to be retired
So the dumb things you think about while falling asleep...

UL requires GFCI receptacles to be self testing....Why aren't GFCI breakers required to be self testing as well?

Seems to be even more critical as breakers are deep down in far away places and less likely to be manually tested than receptacles...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
While difficult to read on UL's free viewing system, I don't find anything in UL 943, section 5.16 Auto-monitoring function that says the auto-monitoring is not required for breakers.

kwired

Electron manager
Receptacles can be reverse wired or polarity incorrect. Not so the breaker.
Or at least maybe not as easily. Breaker doesn't have a receptacle on its "face" either that could potentially still be live when the unit is tripped.

But I also believe these newer generation of "self testing" units are testing more than many think and it is testing of circuit board components and their status more so than performing an actual ground fault test like the test button on the unit does.

I know Legrand GFCI's won't reset if reverse wired, but if you have one that is set, power it down then reverse connect it, it won't trip simply because it is reverse wired. However if you do trip it it won't reset if reverse wired.