Selling existing fixture upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I have a question:

Do any of you have experience in selling upgrades to existing fixtures, door-to-door style?

Lithonia has a program called "relight" where you purchase a 'renovation kit' to upgrade t-12 fixutres to t5 or t8. They have nice brochures you can print out that details the product and expected energy savings, and it pushes the atmosphere upgrade that may lead to a more productive environment.

Seems like an easy way to make a few bucks; I may have to break out my zig ziglar tapes for this.

Anyway, I probably going to get prices on this stuff and try to get a gameplan together.

If you've done this, could you list any successes, failures, advice, general thoughts, etc. . . .

Thanks a bunch.

Here's a link if you're interested in knowing exactly what it is.

Lithonia Relight

Don't forget the cost of proper disposal of old ballasts and tubes.
Find a good cleaner and allow for clean towels and drop cloths.
Look the job over well for weird access spots (furniture in offices etc).
A good ground man can keep 3 or even 4 guys up on ladders humming along.
NO CUSSING IN THE BUILDING.
Have extra ballasts and a few odd ones too.
(There's more)

The easiest to sell to will be someone who *isn't* spending their own money.
Institutions that have an "engineer" type are ideal; pre-sold on the concept at least because they've seen the articles in FM magazines. But it will still come down to cost to maintain what is as is (with old Clem the handyman doing that) vs the time to 'absorb' the change costs before the new stuff needs servicing as well. The electric bill savings only offsets part of that which is why Lithonia is pushing the "aesthetics".

If there are non techies or no beancounters involved in the decision you can run with the aesthetics... do one or two as an example? but if they have to get budget approvals...

Joe the factory or shop owner won't do a switch unless he is forced to.

Good luck.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
BryanMD said:
do one or two as an example? but if they have to get budget approvals....

That's what I was thinking about

BryanMD said:
Joe the factory or shop owner won't do a switch unless he is forced to.

Good luck.

tell me about it. i went to do a quote at a auto garage that out of 8 96" strip lights, they had two working. all the work had to be done outside in the daylight. I gave the guy a price of repairing the existing w/ fullham ballasts and TCP bulbs; 5yr warranty on each. His response, "i can buy that whole fixutre at HD for $40." i didn't even bother with a rebuttal.

Thanks for the response. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.