Semantics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennie

Esteemed Member
My statement...A bond conductor is a short circuit, a ground electrode conductor is an inductor.

This is not only my perception, it is taken from published engineering documents from recognized engineers and scientists.

The attempts to change the meaning of bond, and ground, from the present accepted meaning is a gross corruption of electrical science.

A bond has low impedance, a ground conductor has a degree of impedance. This is kindergarten electric theory. Any attempt to change this is completely without merit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: Semantics

Bennie,
A bond has low impedance, a ground conductor has a degree of impedance.
Are you telling us that conductors of the same size and length will behave in a different manner because one is a "bonding conductor" and the other is a "grounding conductor"?
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Bennie,
The attempts to change the meaning of bond, and ground, from the present accepted meaning is a gross corruption of electrical science.
The existing use of the term "equipment grounding conductor" is not correct. We are not connecting things to earth (ground) with the EGC, we are bonding them to the grounded conductor or to the system grounding electrode in the case of an ungrounded system. The word "grounding" should only be used for a conductor that connects something to the grounding electrode system. The word "bonding" applies to when we are connecting two or more objects together electrically. This is what we are doing when we install what is now known as an "equipment grounding conductor".

bennie

Esteemed Member

All conductors, that connect to the earth, without supplying a load, are ground conductors. They all start at the equipment and end in the dirt. The splice at the neutral bus does not stop current.

200-3 Electrically connected means capable of carrying current.

"Equipment", or "conductive" material ground conductor, is exactly the proper name. It sure does not meet the definition of a bond.

The bond conductor is referred to as a short circuit or shunt connection, due to it having a low impedance. A long conductor will have a measurable impedance with inductance. The terminology is of a relative impedance nature.

A bond conductor can be on both the active line and the ground side of an electrical circuit.

A ground conductor will only be on the ground side.

Again this is from accepted published engineering papers. It is not my personal "twilight zone" technology.

iwire

Staff member

Wouldn't what we call the "equipment grounding conductor" now end at the main bonding jumper and not in the "dirt"?

I do not think you are in the twilight zone, have a good time on your trip. :)

Bob

[ May 04, 2003, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

bennie

Esteemed Member

The particular wire may end, some of it's current goes on to the earth. Therefore it must end with the earth. Changing the name does not influence the electrical function.

Ed MacLaren

All conductors, that connect to the earth, without supplying a load, are ground conductors. They all start at the equipment and end in the dirt. The splice at the neutral bus does not stop current.
Does that mean that the various conductors supplying a load should not have different names, just because they are electrically connected to each other at some point?

Think of the confusion that would exist if we did not use the terms- service, feeder, and branch circuit- to identify different parts of an installation.

When someone mentions a "ground wire", I have no idea what conductor they are talking about. It could be the grounding electrode conductor, an equipment grounding conductor, some people even call the grounded (neutral) conductor a "ground wire".

Service.gif

Ed

bennie

Esteemed Member

A ground wire is all wires at or near the same potential as the ground plane.

A neutral is a ground wire, if it is connected to the earth.

An equipment ground wire, is a ground wire with an adjective to designate its purpose.

A ground electrode wire is a wire that connects all ground wires to the earth.

There is only three descriptive names for ground wires. I think this is simple, easily learned and understood.

Now lets throw bond wires into this, and bond the panel to the dirt. Bond the motor to the panel bus. Bond the transformer X-O to the neutral lug. Bond across an expansion joint. Bond the pool metal.

Then everyone will ask "do I bond this or ground it?"

This will be a great step backwards for mankind.

Status
Not open for further replies.