Separate switch/light fixture for non egress door

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
The situation is an interior remodel to an existing residence. The existing primary bedroom has an existing door to a deck with an exterior light controlled by a interior switch as one would expect. They are proposing adding a new door from the existing primary bathroom to the same area of the deck.

The question is will this new door require its own light and switch?

The existing exterior light would be between the two doors and adequately lights the entire area. Would they be required to add a 3-way switch to control the existing light from either location?

I have scoured the residential code and this door would not be considered a required means of egress and is not part of a stairway so there are no building codes requiring any lighting or controls. I have looked through the electrical code and nothing is jumping out at me.

Any insight is much appreciated. Thanks!

D

Dell3c

I'm @ 210.70 (2) Note# (2). in the 2020 NFPA 70

And if reading your posting correctly, this being Master bath that's connecting to the Master bedroom.

You could actually enter Master bath, from the adjoining Master bedroom area, then exiting Master bath area through this "new doorway" onto the outside deck area.

Technically, an additional switch should be required controlling the existing outside wall illumination fixture @ deck area.

Your required to provide illumination on outdoor entrance(s) and exits w/ grade level access.

So technically, how could you provide this " illumination" when exiting said bathroom outdoor exit, without the additional wall switch ?

D

Dell3c

Yes Sir Tom, that is correct also. Just trying to break it down in "layman's terms" where the poster could understand the definition.

Thank you for adding that..

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
IMO, this would be a design issue and nothing in the NEC would require another switch or light. I'm talking 2017 and earlier. I have no knowledge of what the 2020 might say.

Joe.B

Occupation
Building Inspector
Thank you all for jumping in on this, my intuition told me it needed a switch. The location of the light is good, they don't want a motion sensor, so I said they needed a switch for the reasons you mentioned. We are still on a 2017 NEC based code. I glanced through 210 but I glossed over 210.70 because saw "lighting outlets required" and they already have the light. A more careful read reveals the answer. Again, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.