Separate the ground and neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph mulherin

Inactive, Email Never Verified
The question is why, how deep can you go!! How technical can you explain why, what can happen besides the obvious, efficiency, does it save money, etc ?

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

JFletcher

What are you asking specifically? Why we use 3/4 wire vs 2/3, why subpanels have g/n separate, a complete theory of grounded systems, ???

Short answer: neutral and ground are separated because ground is only to carry current under fault, not normal operating conditions. and not separating them will cause AFCI to trip. :lol:

Joseph mulherin

OK 18 years ago in a house we very rarely separated them, I know what, why, when and where, I keep them separate all the time cause I understand completely why, I just want some thoughts on it, just would like some other perspectives on it. On a house that was built twenty years ago, can I sell a upgrade package to a home owner, if so what can you recommend?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
OK 18 years ago in a house we very rarely separated them, I know what, why, when and where, I keep them separate all the time cause I understand completely why, I just want some thoughts on it, just would like some other perspectives on it. On a house that was built twenty years ago, can I sell a upgrade package to a home owner, if so what can you recommend?

Your question still doesn't make sense, are you thinking the neutral and EGC must be separated in a trench?

Roger

Joseph mulherin

OK nerd, this is what I am looking for, lets open this up and talk about it, this is what I am asking for exactly, thats right, under fault surfaces may become energized, OK ,as far as voltage efficiency, proper grounding can save you money beside your health, can I sell a upgrade pack to a home owner, that wouldn't take all day, quick, easy, money in the pocket? Another question, how could you properly ground a open pull behind trailer, running cooking eq by generator, of coarse separate ,ground neutral, I bonded the can to the trailer, but what for there is no true ground and under fault, you know what will happen, so what??!!!!!

Joseph mulherin

I understand not all the time, I know at some point they are together, but a trench, whats your point here, I am talking from transformer to whatever your feeding, when safety is what you think about,! A trench come Roger,

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I understand not all the time, I know at some point they are together, but a trench, whats your point here, I am talking from transformer to whatever your feeding, when safety is what you think about,! A trench come Roger,

So what separation are you talking about? Are you asking about a sub fed panel or what? You should be able to ask your question with all the specifics.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Check Roger, I got you man, read what I sent to the nerd, if you don't mind

Ok, I got you now and sorry about misunderstanding.

Here is an illustration that should help.

1100199786_2.jpg

It has to do with keeping normal current flowing only on the neutral downstream of the main panel and fault current taking the EGC back to the main panel

Roger

Joseph mulherin

OK Roger assuming at your main is a disconnect outside, which feeds other panels, if I separate there in your opinion,bond the meter can to ground instead of main to protect against possibly surging some of the other panels being fed from the main wouldn't that be better than this, I know what we have been taught, am I looking at something wrong here

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
.... Another question, how could you properly ground a open pull behind trailer, running cooking eq by generator, of coarse separate ,ground neutral, I bonded the can to the trailer, but what for there is no true ground and under fault, you know what will happen, so what??!!!!!

You asked this question in your other thread and never came back.

As far as what will happen in the case of a fault, if the neutral properly bonded at the panel or at the generator and everything is equipment grounded properly then the breaker will trip. A connection to the earth plays absolutely no part in this. Zero. None.

Joseph mulherin

I have a generator, a three wire with ground plug going to the panel, where I separated the ground and neutral, I bonded the panel to the trailer, are you saying this is not correct

Status
Not open for further replies.