Separately derived system

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD35

Hey thanks jaggeben. Your comments have sent me searching to re-evaluate my use of terminology. I have always referred to current carrying conductors that are grounded as "grounded conductors". And, I have always referred to non-current carrying conductors (conductors that, under normal operation have no current flowing through them and are used to carry fault currents back to source through the bond connection so as to trip OCPD's and to remove any potential between metallic parts and earth ground) as "grounding conductors". So, yes, I see how I was in error with my statement about grounding as I was being sort of sloppy by throwing the equipment grounding system and earth grounding system under one heading. In the past I had always reserved the term "bond" for the one single connection between the neutral and the grounding system that is located at the first means of disconnect. So I learned something new today when I read in article 100 that what I call a "bond" is actually a "bonding jumper" and it comes in 3 flavors...Equipment, Main, and System. And so,..I now can call these out correctly. It's a good day! Oh and I had not seen that previous article. Thanks for the link!

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Having only worked with one serious backup Generator situation, which was potentially with some problems. It would be very helpful with this topic to see some wiring diagrams of correct practice for this case in the thread. This will clarify limits that some with less experience are working to get the correct concept thereof. Sometimes the language is hard to visualize and as RD35 has stated, some of the conceptual needs to be correlated with the right terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.