Separation between the communication cables and power ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

galic

:confused: Hello.
I start work with a computer in a private firm.
I read that we must ensure physical separation between the communication cables and electrical power cables. Please, tell me:
- do we must ensure physical separation between communication cables ( UTP and coaxial) and power cable in the horizontal cabling (from ICT room to outet in offices). In 800.52 (1)(c) ... Communications conductors shall not be placed in any raceway, compartment, outlet box, junction box, or similar fitting with conductors of electric light... . Exception No. 1: ...are separated from all of the conductors of communications circuits by a barrier.
Is it barrier primary and secondary coating of ordinary power cable for PC or communication cable?
- do we must ensure physical separation between communication cables ( UTP and coaxial) and power cable in work area for a PC ( is it max. length of this cables 5 m). In according to NEC Article 800.52 it seems to me that we must, but of course that anybody do on that way. In NEC 800.52 (2) Exception No. 1: Where either (1) all of the conductors of the electric light, power, Class 1, non- power-limited fire alarm, and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits are in a raceway or in ..., nonmetallic-sheathed (is it ordinary power cable for connecting PC to power?), Type AC... . Is it solution?
Exception No. 2: Where the communications wires and cables are permanently separated ... by a continuous and firmly fixed nonconductor, such as porcelain tubes or flexible tubing, in addition to the insulation on the wire...
Is it primary and secondary coating of ordinary power cable (e.g. for PC, switch) or is it LAN communication cable (UTP, coaxial) ?
- do we must ensure physical separation between ground wire and communication cables inside and outside of enclosures during installation new hardware (when we grounded an enclosure/equipment/cabinet).

What this in National Electric Code (NEC), Article 852 mean:
- Power-limited circuit in compliance with Article 725
- Type AC, Type UF cables.

Thanks.

bully

Re: Separation between the communication cables and power ca

No separation any more. I have been using Simtra cable (hybrid) running power and data + ph in the same conduit, just one pulling. It comply with NEC 800.52. email me if you need more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.