Seperate building Disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Hey,
does anyone know when it was required that A seperate building required a main disconnect. And also when it was required to be treated as service
ie: when did it require a ground rod and or cold water ground?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hey,
does anyone know when it was required that A seperate building required a main disconnect. And also when it was required to be treated as service
ie: when did it require a ground rod and or cold water ground?

Thanks

A separate structure always requires a disonnect. It also requires ground rods and 4 wires to the building unless you are not under the 08 code or you run a single MWBC. In this case no ground rod is required but a disco is required. It could be just a simple dp switch.

Look at art. 225.30 and 250.32 I believe

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
A separate structure always requires a disonnect. It also requires ground rods and 4 wires to the building unless you are not under the 08 code or you run a single MWBC. In this case no ground rod is required but a disco is required. It could be just a simple dp switch.

Look at art. 225.30 and 250.32 I believe

I ran a emergency call this morning and found a Lug and knife of a Disco fried on one leg.
The nuetral was not bonded to the can, This was probably about 10+ years old install. So I bet we were on the 95 or so code. don't remeber exactly what version was in place at that time. Cailf is about 3 years behind the current.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I ran a emergency call this morning and found a Lug and knife of a Disco fried on one leg.
The nuetral was not bonded to the can, This was probably about 10+ years old install. So I bet we were on the 95 or so code. don't remeber exactly what version was in place at that time. Cailf is about 3 years behind the current.

If this was a 3 wire install and a feeder wired back in '95 then, I believe, the neutral should have been bonded to the can. If this was a simple MWBC then the ground would have been separate.

Status
Not open for further replies.