Septic pump keeps blowing fuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
And if it is a control fuse that is blowing the new one may still trip if the problem is in some field wiring to say a float switch.
The installer installed another 2 pole contact switch and everything is working. (second one in two weeks ) (how long will this one work ?) His supplier told him its probably surges causing the fuse to blow, and recommended a surge protector. I have never installed one, and the forum here has had mixed reviews on their reliability in the past. Anyway, I am going to install a GE two pole plug in type surge protector. I bought from Lowes for $50. ( the panel is GE)
Is this a possible explanation ? Is this the right kind of protector ? Thank you

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
The installer installed another 2 pole contact switch and everything is working. (second one in two weeks ) (how long will this one work ?) His supplier told him its probably surges causing the fuse to blow, and recommended a surge protector. I have never installed one, and the forum here has had mixed reviews on their reliability in the past. Anyway, I am going to install a GE two pole plug in type surge protector. I bought from Lowes for $50. ( the panel is GE)
Is this a possible explanation ? Is this the right kind of protector ? Thank you

A surge protector won’t hurt anything and charge markup $s plus your MSC, but it won’t do a thing for the problem.

kwired

Electron manager
A surge protector won’t hurt anything and charge markup $s plus your MSC, but it won’t do a thing for the problem.
I agree. Still not sure the design of what OP has but sounds like maye he needs to check for rapid cycling conditions, presuming the switch is properly rated for whatever load it is switching.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
A surge protector ... won’t do a thing for the problem.
Indeed. Surge protectors are effective for snubbing short-duration voltage spikes. How short? Metal-oxide varistors' spec sheets specify their performance at 8 and 20 microseconds -- approximately 100,000 times faster than the time required to blow a time-delay motor-starting fuse. Any voltage surge lasting long enough to blow a motor fuse will also blow either the surge protector or the fuse/breaker protecting it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Indeed. Surge protectors are effective for snubbing short-duration voltage spikes. How short? Metal-oxide varistors' spec sheets specify their performance at 8 and 20 microseconds -- approximately 100,000 times faster than the time required to blow a time-delay motor-starting fuse. Any voltage surge lasting long enough to blow a motor fuse will also blow either the surge protector or the fuse/breaker protecting it.

If the spike is within the varistor's clamping range, why wouldn't it be effective?

Status
Not open for further replies.