Septic Tank blamed on massive explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I remember when we first started to wire septic pumps we were told to install the receptacle inside the septic tank where all the motors and alarms were pluged in. Yikes, they now require all those units to be redone. I just got a call from my neighbor who still has that setup and the receptacle has gone bad-- 25 years or more it was like that

mivey

Looks like a lot of damage for just a normal septic tank. I have no frame of reference so how is that possible unless there were additional factors?

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Looks like a lot of damage for just a normal septic tank. I have no frame of reference so how is that possible unless there were additional factors?

How do we know it was a normal septic tank?

It's China, how do we know it's not a 20,000 gallon tank put in to service several of the buildings in the area?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I am a bit skeptical. To be explosive, both methane and H2S need oxygen. I wonder if there was something other than human waste in the tank.

"Hey, what should we do with all this leftover liquid oxygen?"

"Eh, just pour it down the drain."

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You still need a source of ignition.

“I smell something. You have a light?” Says one missing person to the other.
My Bonnie lay over a gas tank,
The height of its contents to see,
She lit a small match to assist her,
O' bring back my Bonnie to me.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
A cherry bomb with underwater fuse, could flush nicely down the toilet.

My senior year in high school (1973), two of my friends did just this before school started in the boys bathroom. Blew the toilet and both urinals off the wall. Frank and Billy walked out of the restroom and just walked straight to the principals office. I think they got suspended for a week. Could you imagine what would happen now days?

ceb58

At one time you could buy a kit to connect to your septic tank to have a gas light in the yard. Kind of like an eternal flame.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I didn't mean to laugh (much) but when I read what one of the interviewed persons said I had to.
He said "it blew my mother off her stool". I laughed wondering what "stool" meant in that context!:)

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
My senior year in high school (1973), two of my friends did just this before school started in the boys bathroom. Blew the toilet and both urinals off the wall. Frank and Billy walked out of the restroom and just walked straight to the principals office. I think they got suspended for a week. Could you imagine what would happen now days?

gitmo obviously.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

My dad was vague on the details, but apparently he and a couple of friends were responsible for blowing up the chem lab in high school (c. 1945). They mounted some sort of entertainment in order to pay for the costs. Too late to ask for additional information now.

Status
Not open for further replies.