septic tank pumps

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
At my house, I have a septic tank that flows into the top of a pump chamber, through a screen filter. The pump chamber has a concrete lid that doesn't seal, so it acts as a vent. A float operated pump pumps uphill to the leach field, where the pipes are about 4 feet above the top of the pump chamber. That was the only location that I could have a leach field, due to the high water table.

ericsarratt

Occupation
Utility Contractor, HVAC Service Tech, Septic Installer & Subsurface Operator, Plumber
what are your views on wiring the pumps and floats that are in a septic tank I read it as class 1 div1 class

I am a septic installer. I always assume that explosive gases are present when I open a tank.

I don't know if I'm understanding what you are asking though.

The risks are water + electricity, explosive gases, H2S, confined space and no oxygen--if you fall in, there is a good chance of dying.

We normally put sealant in the conduit that comes from the tank to prevent gases from entering the control panel box and causing an explosion. They told us in septic school to specifically watch to make sure this was done correctly.

Septic tank explosions don't happen frequently, but they do happen; it is usually a lit cigarette from the videos of septic tank explosions I have watched on Youtube.

Septic tanks are not normally vented in my State (North Carolina).

Inlet pipes are just above the water line. The liquid level is determined by the height of the outlet pipe.

I recently saw a lift station and was surprised at how similar it was to a septic system's pump tank; the lift station's components were more robust, but basically there was little difference between the two to my eyes.

Last edited: