SER Aluminum amperage 75 amps ?

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I only see USE in the ampacity table. Is SER rated the same ampacity rating as USE ? Mnf says I have to install a 70 amp sub panel for 2 infratech heaters rated 25 amps each. NEC has #4 USE aluminum for 75 amps. Is SER the same rating? I realize it will not be used for service entrance, that makes it rate less? Is the NEC #4 rated for 75 amps only if used for service entrance? Thank you!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Aluminum SE cable has Type XHHW-2 or Type THHN/THWN-2-insulation.

Construction​

"Southwire Type SE cable is constructed with Alumaflex® AA-8000 series aluminum alloy, compacted stranded conductors. The conductors are covered with a sunlight resistant Type XHHW-2 or Type THHN/THWN-2-insulation. A reinforcement tape is wrapped around the conductors for added strength and conformity. A gray sunlight-resistant polyvinyl chloride (PVC) outer jacket covers the entire assembly. Style SEU cable has two phase conductors surrounded by a concentric neutral while the SER style has two, three or four phase conductors and a bare neutral. Southwire Style SER Cable’s phase conductors are identified by a colored stripe on the insulation:

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
For a service entrance the cable or conductors need only be rated at 83% of the main breaker so #$ copper or #2 alum for a 100 amp service and 2/0 copper and 4/0 aluminum for a 200 amp service.

This has nothing to do with normal wiring which you use the standard ampacity tables for and derate for temperature and # of conductors if need be.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This has nothing to do with normal wiring which you use the standard ampacity tables for and derate for temperature and # of conductors if need be.
Since he's asking about wiring a feeder to a sub-panel this would fall under the normal wiring you've mentioned.