SER cable amapcity

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have multifamily dwelling. The SER cable is used indoor to rout between main electrical room meter stack switchboard basement into each dwelling unit panelboard.

The meter stack has 125A breaker and SER cable used is #1 awg copper.

According to NEC 2017 Articles 334.80 and 338.10(B)(4)(a) should not size be #1/0 awg copper or should it be #1 awg copper?

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The same way we can protect 4-0 al with 200a breakers.

Post #1 are not service conductors. Post #1 is feeder fed from 125A breaker meter stacks to individual dwelling units indoor. All equipment conductors are indoor. It is one building apartment complex.

Demand loads have nothing to do with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have multifamily dwelling. The SER cable is used indoor to rout between main electrical room meter stack switchboard basement into each dwelling unit panelboard.

The meter stack has 125A breaker and SER cable used is #1 awg copper.

According to NEC 2017 Articles 334.80 and 338.10(B)(4)(a) should not size be #1/0 awg copper or should it be #1 awg copper?
334.80 does not apply.
Interior Installations. In addition to the provisions of this article, Type SE service-entrance cable used for interior wiring shall comply with the installation requirements of Part II of Article 334, excluding 334.80.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Post #1 are not service conductors. Post #1 is feeder fed from 125A breaker meter stacks to individual dwelling units indoor. All equipment conductors are indoor. It is one building apartment complex.

Demand loads have nothing to do with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Actually they do...if the calculated load is 115 amps or less, you can install 2 AWG copper from a 125 amp breaker.