SER physical protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricmanscott

Re: SER physical protection

Originally posted by gserve:
Has anyone heard of SER being listed as not needing to be protected from physical protection? Code reference please. Thanks
I don't know why you would need to protect it from protection. :D
It would need to be protected where subject to physical damage.
That is of course open to interpretation.

gserve

I meant to say physical damage. I was told by someone that physical protection is not needed for SER because it is listed as not needing it.

volt101

230.50 Protection of Open Conductors and Cables Against Damage ? Above Ground
Service-entrance conductors installed above ground shall be protected against physical damage as specified in 230.50(A) or (B).
(A) Service Cables Service cables, where subject to physical damage, shall be protected by any of the following:
(1) Rigid metal conduit
(2) Intermediate metal conduit
(3) Schedule 80 rigid nonmetallic conduit
(4) Electrical metallic tubing
(5) Other approved means
Must be protected. At least in my town.

Jim

LawnGuyLandSparky

I think the wording "where subject to physical damage" allows a lot of wiggle room.

Here they like a sleeve of EMT to a height of 8' above grade. The SEU is slightly exposed right above the meter pan @ the cable connector.

Below the pan, it's an EMT connector and typically a sill plate protecting the SEU or SER in it's entirety. No wiggle room there as that's the AHJ's arena.

jwelectric

Here is a thread from another forum:

Has anyone heard of SER being listed as not needing to be protected from physical protection? Code reference please. Thanks
Where did you see or hear about this?
I heard it from an inspector and the SER was being used as a feeder underneath a mobile (manufactured home).
550,15 (H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal, or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage, it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit. The conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.
Exception: Type MI cable, electrical metallic tubing, or rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted where closely routed against frames and equipment enclosures.
Are we talking about the same thing here?
:)

gserve

Let me describe the installation. This is a manufactured home. The Service equipment was over 30' away so a disconnect was installed on a 4x4 post next to the home URD was run from the service equipment to the disconnect in PVC. From the back of the disconnect a #2 SER was run under the manufactured home to the 1.5" stub from the panel and they used a 1.5" female PVC adapter and screwed in a 1.5" SER connector into it.They used a PVC 2 hole strap to support it to the frame.

jwelectric

Originally posted by gserve:
Let me describe the installation. This is a manufactured home. The Service equipment was over 30' away so a disconnect was installed on a 4x4 post next to the home URD was run from the service equipment to the disconnect in PVC. From the back of the disconnect a #2 SER was run under the manufactured home to the 1.5" stub from the panel and they used a 1.5" female PVC adapter and screwed in a 1.5" SER connector into it.They used a PVC 2 hole strap to support it to the frame.
550,15 (H) Under-Chassis Wiring (Exposed to Weather). Where outdoor or under-chassis line-voltage (120 volts, nominal, or higher) wiring is exposed to moisture or physical damage, it shall be protected by rigid metal conduit or intermediate metal conduit. The conductors shall be suitable for wet locations.
Exception: Type MI cable, electrical metallic tubing, or rigid nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted where closely routed against frames and equipment enclosures.
as you can see that would not comply

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

a #2 SER was run under the manufactured home to
would this not also be in violation of 550.33 "four INSULATED....conductors"

william runkle

2002 NEC 550.33 Feeders since this comes from required disconnect then SER can not be used. So the protection question is moot. And this question was asked upon all known forums.

LawnGuyLandSparky

I was looking at the "under-chassis" (exposed) angle, as opposed to in a crawlspace, completely missing the fact that SEU was used after a disco.

My bad.

william runkle

Do not feel bad the post is misleading and he is on all the other electrical forums here his profile says electrician but from his questions gserve asks I wonder what type seems to me as an apprentice and I believe no question is stupid or wrong as long as you post the true question SER does it need protection? but it should have stated the the facts at the start.

jwelectric

Originally posted by william runkle:
Do not feel bad the post is misleading and he is on all the other electrical forums here his profile says electrician but from his questions gserve asks I wonder what type seems to me as an apprentice and I believe no question is stupid or wrong as long as you post the true question SER does it need protection? but it should have stated the the facts at the start.
He is a pretty good old fellow. He is just trying to get info to help his cause. Here is a statement he made somewhere else that will show that he is only seeking help.

I hold a masters license and do only residential /service work.I am employed by a mobile home park as there electrician installing all the electrical services and feeders in the park and all related utility conduits and working on there new homes.Also do all sewer pumps and control panels and all repair work witch includes CATV and telephone work etc. I did look up the code references you gave. I guess I will use the code book more
Now we all have needed help at some point in our careers so let?s be nice and help our fellow man.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.