SER&UF in same conduit

Status
Not open for further replies.

eljefetaco

I have a question I cannot find the answer.

100amp SER and two 14/3 UF in a 1 1/4” PVC conduit from a ATS to attic with expansion coupling. No LB just a 90.

inspector informs us he will fail it if we do it again. Doesn’t make sense. It’s either a code violation or not. Why pass it this time? Was not on site to ask for reference. What am I missing?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like a few possibilities. One your raceway is too small and two you did not derate for more than 3 CCC's in a raceway? What size SER?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
inspector informs us he will fail it if we do it again. Doesn’t make sense. It’s either a code violation or not. Why pass it this time? Was not on site to ask for reference. What am I missing?
Ask for the code reference, even on the phone. You can't correct what you don't know is wrong.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
If the SER carries POCO service conductors and the UF originates on the load side of the service disconnect OCPD , that is a clear violation that should never be "excused" as it is a safety hazard.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the SER carries POCO service conductors and the UF originates on the load side of the service disconnect OCPD , that is a clear violation that should never be "excused" as it is a safety hazard.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It sounds like the ser is a feeder from the transfer switch-- SER is 4 wires so that is my thinking. I am trying to understand why there is 2- 14/3UF cables in a transfer switch....

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It sounds like the ser is a feeder from the transfer switch-- SER is 4 wires so that is my thinking. I am trying to understand why there is 2- 14/3UF cables in a transfer switch....
Until the OP comes back with some more information we're just here guessing. :unsure:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Controls? Battery charger/heater?

eljefetaco

Not service entrance. The SER is the feed from generator (residential) the (2) 14/3 uf are control wiring for a Generac generator. Pretty simple. And yes 14/3 uf is over sized. Why can you hit put ser and UF in a pipe? Pvc

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not service entrance. The SER is the feed from generator (residential) the (2) 14/3 uf are control wiring for a Generac generator. Pretty simple. And yes 14/3 uf is over sized. Why can you hit put ser and UF in a pipe? Pvc
You can (unless the controls are Class2 only) but you're saying that you're being told that it's a violation but no one knows what code section is being violated.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It’s the true 100amp think 3 #1AL and I #6Al
Was thinking conduit fill but you can derate the 14/3 all day.
You need to find the diameter of the SE cable add to that the diameter of the 2 UF cables (as if they were round) and see if you have exceeded 40% raceway fill.

Strombea

338.12(2)
I have never and don't think it's ok to use SER underground. Why wouldnt you use thhn

but yes UF can go in same conduit as feeders but not with service conductors as previously mentioned.

we use a 18-7 landscape type wire for controls if under 120 ft

Strombea

338.12(2)
I have never and don't think it's ok to use SER underground. Why wouldnt you use thhn

but yes UF can go in same conduit as feeders but not with service conductors as previously mentioned.

we use a 18-7 landscape type wire for controls if under 120 ft
Sorry I just realized it wasn't underground...

I guess there is no violation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Aside from the conduit fill issue and derating i think your ok. OP said "100amp SER" what size is that? If it's #2 that may not be allowed unless it supplies the entire load of the house

Status
Not open for further replies.