server room

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSXR600

I am looking at this job and it is a server room the engineer has drawn a detail for the whips from the PDUs to the servers it shows a seal tight whip with a box on the end. Has anyone ever done a server room using this method? What box did you use? Wouldnt it be a violation not supporting the box and just leaving it lay under the raised floor?

__dan

Yup

Yup

Blue sealtite power drops are pretty standard. I use a single gang deep, 21 cubic inch, bell box. If you want to spend more you can use galavanized FS-D. Boxes and sealtite lay on the floor.

Regarding support, strapping, I believe the exception revolves around sealtite being a "temporary" wiring method, which means it has to be removed when it is no longer used. Permanently installed boxes and sealtite would have to be secured and strapped.

I will throw this out for discussion, I have not looked up the code references. I always ask for "plenum rated" blue sealtite but I'm not sure they even make a plenum rated sealtite. Regular grey and blue sealtite is low smoke and does not burn or support combustion (I've done smoke and burn tests under a welding hood with samples). Not sure but I believe the exception for using non plenum rated requires an EPO switch for the room. I'm sure the crowd here has seen a lot this.

ron

To use any raceway with an overall non metalic covering (like sealtite) below a raised floor requires you to have provided the prerequisites in 645. Otherwise you need to go to 300.22(C) for MC or FMC type stuff.

GSXR600

I just read the code and i see 645.5e gives me what i am looking for but dan as far as the plenum rating goes there are exceptions for raised floor on that matter.

ron

The prerequisites of 645, make it such that I avoid it like the plague.
The EPO, the mass shutdown of air when smoke is detected below the floor, etc make it something that prefer just to put metallic conduit without a jacket and secure it to the pedestals or strut. Too many reliability problems with 645

Status
Not open for further replies.