Service bonding terminated on utility side of service

Status
Not open for further replies.

retire09

The Utility company here insists on terminating the grounding electrode conductors and all service bonding in their meter cabinet that is then tagged out.
I have always required the service bonding to be terminated in the service disconnect enclosure on the customer side.
Is this an issue worth fighting the utility company?

iwire

Staff member
The NEC allows the bonding to take place anywhere from the service point to the service disconnecting means.

In my opinion that clearly allows the meter to be used.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Not sure what you mean by "then tagged out". Utilities have different requirements. Code requires the GEC to be bonded to neutral at the service disconnect. I forget the exact reference...250.24. something? I guess on a meter panel, that can be in the utility side or the customer side. We do not allow that connection in our (utility) side, since the neutral may have to occasionally be disconnected from ground to check for remote grounds. We don't want anyone cutting our seals to access that connection. Considered customer wiring. I would guess it falls under AHJ, but Code is pretty clear. If your utility wants it in their side, that's probably where I'd put it. They, after all, are the ones who connect you to power.

Last edited:

retire09

250.68(A) requires the terminations to be accessibly.
Are they still considered accessible to the customer if they are tagged out on the utility companies side of the service?
They are locked out with the little plastic and wire tags that are easily cut off with a multi-tool.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
250.68(A) requires the terminations to be accessibly.
Are they still considered accessible to the customer if they are tagged out on the utility companies side of the service?
They are locked out with the little plastic and wire tags that are easily cut off with a multi-tool.
It's fine as far as NEC.
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of
being removed or exposed without damaging the building
structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the struc-
ture or finish of the building.
If my POCO told me to put it there I would. I wish they would.

kwired

Electron manager
One POCO here wants a ground rod at the meter location even if it is not the only grounding electrode at the premises. CEE, water pipe, building steel? They don't care you will drive a rod at the meter location and it will connect in the meter socket.

Status
Not open for further replies.