Service Cable for store and 2 apartment building

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtn_elec

There is a building with a small grocery store with 90 amps load 120/240v in the first floor and 2 apartments in 2nd and 3rd fl. Owner wants to upgrade existing 100 A to 200 A for future needs and apartments from 40A to 60A (really small aptm with a load of 35 A. What wire size would you use for the service cable? Would you use table 310.15.B.6 for the apartment and 310.16 for the store?

jwelectric

Re: Service Cable for store and 2 apartment building

Let?s look at 310.15 (B)(6) and see what it says;
Table 310.15(B)(6) Conductor Types and Sizes for 120/240-Volt, 3-Wire, Single-Phase Dwelling Services and Feeders. Conductor Types RHH, RHW, RHW-2, THHN, THHW, THW, THW-2, THWN, THWN-2, XHHW, XHHW-2, SE, USE, USE-2

Looking at the part that is in bold I don?t think a store would fit.
:)
edit: forgot my little smiley face

[ August 05, 2005, 04:41 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Looking at the part that is in bold I don?t think a store would fit.
The store, no, but the individual dwelling units on top of the store would. :D

[ August 05, 2005, 08:37 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

mtn_elec

Ok. I get it. Well to find out the wire size for the o.h. service. I would treat the apartments as commercial loads,right? :confused:

jwelectric

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
Ok. I get it. Well to find out the wire size for the o.h. service. I would treat the apartments as commercial loads,right? :)

edited to add:
If I was sizing the service for this one main then I would do the apartments add them to the store and size out of 310,16 for the overhead drop and for the feeders going to each apt.

[ August 05, 2005, 10:53 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

mtn_elec

There are 3 meters right now.It will be a OH service to a trough and then to 3 meters 1 200 and 2 100 amps the mains will be in the basement where the existing panels are. Store panel would be upgrade to 200 and the 2 mains for the apartments would be change from 40 to 60 amps ( really small apartments)

jwelectric

mtn_elec

The riser will be bases on the total calculated load, store and apartments.

The service conductors for the apartments will be based on 100 amps each

(C) One-Family Dwelling. For a one-family dwelling, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 100 amperes, 3-wire.

volt102

(C) One-Family Dwelling. For a one-family dwelling, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 100 amperes, 3-wire.
From definitions:
Dwelling, One-Family . A building that consists solely of one dwelling unit.

This building has two dwellings and a store.
230.79(c) does not apply. Wouldn't it fall under the "others" and require 60 amps?

Jim

mtn_elec

Well the calculated load is store (90) + 2nd fl (35) + 3rd fl (35) = 160 Amps. From 310.16 2/0 cu would be needed, but we want to give some space for future needs (central air, more coolers,etc)This is a small grocery store (16'X 40').what wire would you use?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by mtn_elec:
Well the calculated load is store (90) + 2nd fl (35) + 3rd fl (35) = 160 Amps. From 310.16 2/0 cu would be needed, but we want to give some space for future needs (central air, more coolers,etc)This is a small grocery store (16'X 40').what wire would you use?
The whole store is 16' x 40'? How close are their neighbors? Do they have room for future expansion? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.