Service call

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

When at a large company the other day we notice the condition of the panels that hold all of the staters for motors were in really bad shape . Just from the rust and dirt on the outside told a story. Once inside it became evident of the lack of pm. Cobb webs everywhere.
Our job was easiy , overheated wire to load side of starter . Made small repair and told the manager what was needed to be done to try and prevent this from happening again. No luck.
How do you get trough to these people about the care this type of equipment needs?

iwire

Staff member
How do you get trough to these people about the care this type of equipment needs?

In most cases you can't and I don't even bother trying.

I may make note of bad conditions on the work orders just to cover my rear but I do not expect the customer to suddenly change from years of neglect to 'lets fix it all'.

SEO

I agree with iwire and jumper a lot of companys won't do PM just feel fortunate that they call you to make the repairs when the equipment fails.

mcclary's electrical

I agree, when I'm called in a place like that,,, I very, very rarely point out anything to them. You're there for one reason, and one reason only. If and when they want a full plant evaluation, they will aquire you to do that. Until then, don't worry. They work there, they know what it looks like, IMO, if you point out stuff, they will come to the opinion that you are trying to make work for yourself.

joebell

They work there, they know what it looks like, IMO, if you point out stuff, they will come to the opinion that you are trying to make work for yourself.

That is a very true statement, I am conflicted with this same situation from time to time and that thought always crosses my mind. I handle this like Bob and make a note on my paerwork about it to "CMA". Most times the person I tend to deal with in the field is a shift or floor manager and they do not have the power to authorize the additional work.

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I would, and do, point it out to them and write it on the service ticket they sign. If something happens in the future and you were the last to work on it you will be getting a call from them or their lawyers.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Try working on farmers equipment. If I all I found was a little rust and cobwebs, I'd be doing good!!:)

Fix the problem, drop a hint or two if you think something else is on it's way out, and let them make the decision if anything else gets replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.