service change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickl

hi i'm a ec from the state of washington and have a few question,i know most of these answers just double checking. ( don't want to look like an idiot in front of the client when the inspector red flags the job.
1 service entrance cable can only go 15' inside the house, is this from the meter base or from the point it enters the house.
2 cables from meter base to panel has to be SE cable cannot be thhn, etc.
3 if i install a combo meter with a 200 amp disconnect this would be consided the service and the panel in the house would be a sub panel, and i could fed this with thhn type wire.
also i would drive ground rods at combo meter and bring the egc to the sub panel, would i also have to drive ground rods at the panel?(its in a basement concrete floor)
4 the panel will be surface mount on a concrete wall (no wood framing or sheetrock)open ceiling about 7'high, can i leave the romex entering the panel exposed or run pvc to floor joists ( about 6")
5 i know that what i work on i have to bring up to code, but on a service change where do you draw the line. i believe i need to install arc fault breakers on the bedroom circuits, but how about circuits that weren't required 25 years ago, or a hot tub that doesn't have a gfci breaker, or kitchen and bathroom plugs with no gfci protection,or other violations.is the inspector going to make me bring the whole house up to code before the power is turned back on. what should be included in the price and what should be charged as a extra.
thanks for your input and have a great new year

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: service change?

Finding local info requires a trip to the offices of the AHJ for handouts. Also the Web is a great source if information if the local government has Ordinances online and searchable. I'm finding more and more of this in my area. Lastly, the PoCo connected to the occupancy you are going to work on will have a whole set of requirements to pick through to see which apply. </font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">1. Contact both the AHJ and PoCo for this one.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">2. See #1.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">3. The PoCo may have a list of "approved equipment" that you must pick from, and see #1. The AHJ will tell you if s/he requires more than one rod for the Grounding Electrode System.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">4. In my area, I'd install a 3/4" sheet of pressure treated ply up to the joists, mount the panel on it and strap the NM to it.</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">5. This is derived from local ordinance covering what an existing building must have done over time and at specific events, such as the service upgrade. Ask the AHJ for the regulations, or for where to find the regulations that apply to this specific building. In my opinion, this one is by far the most complicated because so many sources can have influence. . .even the insurance company that the homeowner insists on using may come into play.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

apauling

service upgrade requirements seem to be regional, even within states to local jurisdictions. i am not familiar with that area so...

what i was taught was that everything new must be to code. The THHN must be in a conduit or in pipe, SE. if a cable it must be protected all the way.

all bonding done to current code; inc WH jumpers, gas, water service. New ground rod (unless extant rod) as no proof of water pipe as meeting electrode requirements.

I was taught that all old romex below 8' must be protected with panel, sheetrock, but there are areas in CA that only require that it is stapled to the sides of studs, not run through (unless protected).

new panel cannot be junction box, although nec says can but must be derated for capacity.

no ground rod at 2nd panel, but isolate grnds and neut, 4 wires needed.

egc to meter/main, all bonding to meter/main.

in CA have not seen new meter with remote/interior disconnect (not counting SF)

in CA no SE can enter house unprotected (pipe not house materials). This can be a contentious area around the country. After overcurrent protection, can be protected by framing/sheetrock, etc.

this is not all TO code but to what some jurisdictions want/allow with upgrades/repairs.

some want all visible hazards removed, others don't. some want gfci's, others not. afci protection i would assume not on old work, BUT...

So call the bldg dept and ask, the area inspector usually has phone time.

paul :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Just because you replace the service, does not mean that you have to bring the entire house to 2002 code. Your service and anything new you install must meet 2002 code, but you can't force the customer to tear down their house and start over because an outlet went bad. :)

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician

Around my area, Maryland, some will only allow about 5-6 feet, many less, of SE inside before a OCP, either disco with breaker or a main breaker panel.

The Code states 'as short as practical' but does not define this.

Status
Not open for further replies.