Service conductor clearance from a deck - 230.9(A)

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
What is the interpretation for clearance for service conductors attached near a 2nd floor deck? 230.9(A) says 3 ft. clearance from windows, doors, decks, etc. but it doesn't really say how that's measured and from what point.

Here's what this house currently has. There's a 2nd floor deck and the overhead service attaches to the wall of the house approximately 2 ft. outside of the deck area and the drip loop hangs down to where it's reachable from the deck platform. The low point of the drip loop is 3 ft. from the outer edge of the deck railing if you measure diagonally going up to it but it's at about eye level and I can reach out and grab the conductors. I'd say the lowest point of the drip loop is less than 2 ft. horizontally from the railing and probably 2 ft. above it so diagonally = 3 ft.

The code is a little vague on that part when it comes to decks. If it's 3 ft. measured from the nearest point of the deck (top of railing), the drip loop could be an inch outside of the deck horizontally and mounted at 3 ft. above the railing height. It'd be just over 3 ft. from the nearest point of the deck but would be easily reachable because it'd be 6ft high above the deck platform and right next to it. Am I missing something here or what?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
it's reachable from the deck platform.
I can reach out and grab the conductors.
This is the concern, mainly for accidental contact. Intentional contact can't really be prevented.

The distance is horizontal, not diagonal. Three feet exceeds the arm length of a six-foot person.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
230.24(B)(1)

-Hal
Thanks Hal. If this was a grade level deck, this would solve the problem, but it's a 2nd level deck, so the conductors are probably 14ft. above grade. If they were over the top of the deck, I would say they need to be 10 ft. above the deck platform, but they attach off to the side, so that doesn't apply either.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
This is the concern, mainly for accidental contact. Intentional contact can't really be prevented.

The distance is horizontal, not diagonal. Three feet exceeds the arm length of a six-foot person.
I would assume that the distance is meant to be horizontal, but it doesn't specify that anywhere that I can see. It just says they need to be "3 ft. from" windows, doors, patios, etc.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
230.24(B)(1)

-Hal
I found it. 230.9(B) applies to this and applies 230.24(B)(1) to this particular situation. I was just looking at 230.9(A) and 230.24(B)(1) and didn't see anything in those that was specific about the measurement.

I think I'm interpreting it right this way. 230.9(B) states "The vertical clearance of final spans above or within 3 ft of platforms, projections, or surfaces that will permit personal contact shall be maintained in accordance with 230.24(B)". So, according to this, 230.24(B) applies to anything above or 'within 3 ft. horizontally' from the deck has to be 10 ft. above the deck platform. The conductors are less than 3 ft. from the edge of the deck so they would need to be moved at least 3 ft away or 10 ft. above the deck platform.