Service conductors allowed on parking garage ceiling?

dissonant

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm designing a small apartment building with overhead service continuing from the the front of the building to a group metering location by way of the parking garage ceiling. The permitting office reviewer has flagged the design stating it doesn't comply with NEC 230.3. This is one building and not a separate structure, so not sure how it could be read this way. Anyone see any issue with installing the service this way?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like one building to me too so that code section is incorrect. I think that 230.6 is applicable because these conductors do not sound like they're outside of the building.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Is the Apt. complex on top of garage structure or on the side of it? If on the side or directly adjacent many times it is viewed as a separate structure with it's own foundation footer supports.
I don't think I'd like to see a set of service conductors run exposed even in conduit in a public parking garage, seen too much damage to anything overhead by over height vehicles or parts of vehicles.

dissonant

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The apartments are above the parking area. Being residential, I didn't consider damage to be likely.

I was confused with when 230.6 is applicable, as the wording doesn't clearly state that the service must remain outside the building.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The general rule is that the service disconnect needs to be nearest the point of entry of the service conductors into the building. {230.70(A)(1)}

230.6 gives you methods to not have the service disconnect at the point where your service conductors enter the parking garage because they would still be considered to be outside of the building.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
...Being residential, I didn't consider damage to be likely.

Because when a resident rents a U-Haul to move in they are likely to be more aware and careful of overhead obstructions than a commercial driver? In my opinion this argument doesn’t hold water.

But it's moot. In any case, 230.70(A)(1) applies, as infinity cited. What you're proposing is generally not allowed. You need a service disconnect where the service comes into the building, or greater protection (e.g. inside concrete structure) than bolted to the ceiling. The reviewer cited the wrong section but is correct.