Service conductors entering through enclosure before the service deisconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electron_Sam78

I have situation where there is an ATS installed on the supply side of a service. It is a non-service rated ATS and we need a way to disconnect ower for service and maintenace of the ATS - and to be code compliant (this violation was missed by the QA inspector beforethe building was accepted). I have attached a drawing of what I have now (before) and what I want to do to remedy the situation (after). The only issue that I see might come up is the service conductors entering the ATS enclosure before the retro-installed service disconnect enclosure. Is there something in the NEC about this? I can't seem to find anything.

Attachments

• ATS after.jpg
    ATS after.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ATSbefore.jpg
    ATSbefore.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 0

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is it possible to interupt the service conductor run before it enters the ATS enclosure? For example, put the new MCB below the ATS.

Electron_Sam78

I don't have to use a single nipple I can separate them for service conductors and for feeders. It would be impossible, inside the building, to interrupt the service lateral as the ATS sits on the floor which is a concrete slab. I would have to dig it up outside the building. I looked up 230.7 and it aparently only applies to conduits. It seems to imply (and the handbook agrees) that the service conductors can share a gutter space of an enclosure.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Correct... it's not prohibited.

Except the last thing he posted, was, "inside the building". You will need to ask the AHJ in my opinion, for their interpretation of 230.70(A)(1). Our local AHJ would prohibit this installation inside the building, because they would not consider it to fulfill the, "nearest point of entry" part. Someone else can please publish the entire code quote, I don't have a cut and paste version.

Electron_Sam78

Since it's not inside the building until it penetrates the floor my retro-fitted SD is still very close to the point of entry. I don't think I have a problem with it since I'm the AHJ in this case :cool:

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Since it's not inside the building until it penetrates the floor my retro-fitted SD is still very close to the point of entry. I don't think I have a problem with it since I'm the AHJ in this case :cool:

10-4 Locally they have determined that straight out of the floor in to a Service Disconnect is OK. An elbow, an LB, a box etc. is not. I have seen one place where they allowed 10 feet from the outside wall for a through wall, so this is one area where interpretation is all important.

Electron_Sam78

Sounds like interpretation/preference is the deciding factor here. I just wanted to be sure there was no glaring, black and white violation. I think I will go ahead with the plans I have drawn and attached here. I appreciate the input all. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.