Service Conductors in Crawl Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am reviewing a drawing that shows new service conductors from an existing transformer being routed to the main electrical room via a crawl space. It's a remodel of an existing building. I don't know whether the "ceiling" of the crawl space is concrete. Assuming it is, would these conductor be considered "outside the building," as is addressed in 230.6?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see how the construction of the crawl space would make any difference. The crawl space is part of the building and if the raceway runs through the crawl space, the raceway is in the building.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would say "no". As I read it the condcutors would have to be under concrete under the building or encased in concrete.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Electrician friend built a house, had a temp service set alongside with extra coils in the temp service wire. When the house was wired, he ran the service conductors under the house to the service panel, but in Washington we are limited to 15 ft of service conduit. He was over 15 ft so had to form and pour concrete under the house.
Moral: NEC does not have a length limit on service conductors in a building. Many states do, such as 2 ft, 3 ft or similar. Know what the limit is and the alternatives are.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
My thought was "no" as well. It's an AE design project for a building on a military base south of Seattle. The WA limit of 15 feet would not apply on US government land, and I don't know if a limit is imposed by any government standards. I will throw this back to the AE and let them figure out what to do. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.