Service Conductors to Fire Pump Controller - Grounded Conductor

nhee2

We have a 3 ph utility service (480/277 grounded) supplying a service switchboard, with a segregated vertical section which has a tap for service conductors (upstream of service disconnection) to supply a firewater pump controller. From the utility to switchboard we are bringing our grounded conductor and bonding within the switchboard.

For the conductors that go over to the fire pump controller, I understand these are still considered service conductors, and sized per 695.6 and 695.7. Is it correct that we need to bring the grounded conductor from the switchboard to the fire pump controller, and that this is considered 'grounded service conductor', sized per 250.24(C) and 250.102(C)(1)? Then, we re-bond the conductor at the fire pump controller as well?

I'm reverifying that my grounded conductor hasn't turned into an EGC due to its connection in the switchboard, but I'm thinking what I've described above is correct.

Last edited:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are correct. The FP conductors are service and the grounded would be sized 250.102

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
For the conductors that go over to the fire pump controller, I understand these are still considered service conductors, and sized per 695.6 and 695.7.
Does the segregated section you've mentioned have an OCPD?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No ocpd in that section.
So the fire pump controller is a service disconnect? If so then yes you'll bring the grounded conductor to the controller and bond it just like any other service disconnect.

nhee2

So the fire pump controller is a service disconnect? If so then yes you'll bring the grounded conductor to the controller and bond it just like any other service disconnect.
Yes. That was the plan. The fact that the fire pump service conductors are routed through/from a SB where there is already a N-G bond was causing me to question.

Thanks.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
250.24(C) requires the grounded conductor be brought to each service disconnect. and 250.28 requires an main bonding jumper at each disconnect.