service disconnect height

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfish

Where in the code does it give a max height for my service disconnect switch? Does it fall under 404.8(A) in the 2002 NEC?

mdshunk

Re: service disconnect height

There is no maximum height listed for the service disconnect, other than it must be readily accessable. The max height for other similar switches is 2.0 meters (6 ft, 7 inches), but this dimension does not appear to be associated with service disconnects for some reason.

[ June 17, 2005, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I would venture to say that it's because a circuit breaker is not a switch, MDS. :)

See 240.83(D).

Redfish, generally POCO's set requirements for the height of a meter, which is generally around 5.5' to the center or the top of the meter. If you use metermains (as we do around here), then it automatically sets the height of the service disconnect. :)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgestolz:
I would venture to say that it's because a circuit breaker is not a switch, MDS. :)
Say what??

The 6'-7" height requirement of 404.8(A) applies to circuit breakers.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Well, a circuit breaker is not a switch. :D

Unfortunately for me, Bob's right. CB's are specifically mentioned in that section. :D

Oops. (Note to self: Look before posting again.) :p

allenwayne

It does say all switches and circuit breakers used AS SWITCHES,I know i`ll get grief from this but here goes.The main on a CB panel is in reality the only breaker other than ones used for line of sight for water heaters a/h/u`s etc.That are actually a ciruit breaker used as a switch.We use homeline and GE panels all with horizontal throw mains.This very thing came up last year and the AHJ agreed that the main and any breakers used for line of sight shall not be higher than 6ft 7 in .the rest are OCPD`S and 404.8 only pertains to these mentioned,except as allowed in exc. 2.
The reason I brought op the horizontal throw is that instead of 15 ft of 4/0 AL to go from meter to panel main ,we now use 7 ft and put the main on the bottom :D

iwire

Staff member

From all that I have read from Allen, Jim and others from Florida about the Florida inspections I will not base my NEC decisions based on a Florida inspection department interpretation. :roll:

I would never pass in MA or RI with a service disconnect above 6'-7'

Allen what is the maximum height they will allow a service disconnect. 7', 10', 15'?

allenwayne

You misunderstood me the max height of a main is 6 ft 7 in. and any other breakers used in that panels as disconnects for line of sight are also to be below that height,
Meter gets set at 5 ft 6 in from finished grade that gives about1 ft of room for the main and any breakers for line of sight disconnets to be within that max height.All other breakers are OCPD`S and can be above 6 ft 7 in. ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Originally posted by iwire:
From all that I have read from Allen, Jim and others from Florida about the Florida inspections I will not base my NEC decisions based on a Florida inspection department interpretation. ;)

Roger

redfish

originally posted by Charlie,
You might want to take a look at 2005 240.24
Since the text shall be installed so that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6ft 7 in.) above the working platform was added to 240.24 (A) in the 2005 Code, and you were taking an exam based on the 2002 Code, how would you answer the question? I am a new member and I can already see this is going to be a lot of fun.

charlie

Redfish, the Code changes every three years and you will always need to find out what edition of the Code the test is covering. Some jurisdictions are still on the 1999 Code but, I assume, the current test will be over the 2002 since most jurisdictions haven't adopted the 2005 yet and the people writing the tests may not have changed to the 2005 yet.

redfish

The test is based on the 2002 Code , so how would you answer the original question? :)

iwire

Staff member

I would answer 6'-7" or less.

I have never bought the argument that a breaker serving as the Service Disconnecting Means is not a breaker 'used as a switch'.

[ June 19, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

redfish

Thanks, the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to go with 2002 Code article 404.8(A). I also found out ( with the help of iwire) that this is clarified in the 2005 Code . I've got my answer and I'm moving on. Thanks guys. :)

allenwayne

Sorry guys we are still and will be under 2002 till who knows when.I heard that rule is altered I will still install to 02 cycle ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.